Creating Exams and Surveys with Respondus
Respondus is a Windows application that lets instructors create and manage exams and surveys that can be printed to paper or published directly to BeachBoard. Instructors create exams and assessments offline using a Windows interface, spell check the exams, preview the questions, and then publish the exams or surveys directly to a BeachBoard course. In addition, over 2,000 publisher test banks are available to instructors who use Respondus. Note: It is not compatible with Apple operating systems.
Download and install Respondus
Respondus' installer file and license code can be found the Office of Academic Technology's web site and is available at no charge to currently assigned CSULB faculty, instructors, and staff:
- Go to http://www.csulb.edu/lats/ts/index.shtml and access the Software Depot with your MyCSULB campus ID and password.
- Click on Product Search and type Repondus in the white box.
- Follow instructions so that you can access the software.
- Download the software and license key.
- Close your web browser.
- Double-click on the Respondus35Campus.exe file to install Respondus to your computer. Follow the on-screen prompts. The Institution Name, Local Support Contact(s), and Installation Password can be found in the General_Respondus_License_Key_Info.doc file.
Once you have downloaded, installed, and registered Respondus, view the demo movies and manuals linked below for instructions on how to use Respondus and how to publish your Respondus assessments to BeachBoard 7.3.
Manuals and guides
- Quick start guide [requires Adobe Reader] (Easy-to-understand reference for the Respondus beginner)
- Installation (see above)
- The Start Menu
- Download a Publisher-Partner Test Bank
- Importing Questions from Other Formats
- Using the Exam Wizard
- Review of the Edit Menu
- Using the Edit Menu
- The Edit Toolbar
- The Settings Menu
- The Publish Menu
- Using the Publish Wizard
- Printing an Exam
- Retrieving an Exam from Beachboard (see above)
- Other Training and Support Resources
Demo movies [requires Adobe's Flash player]
These tutorials are created by Respondus. We recommend watching "Publishing an assessment to Beachboard" before attempting the process for the first time.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
First-time BlackBoard Server and Course Setup
- Open Respondus on your computer (after you have installed it).
- After creating a quiz or survey, click on the Preview & Publish tab.
- Click on Publish to Blackboard link and Publish Wizard.
- Select step 1 - Publish to Single Course
- In step 2 - Click on Add New Server.
- In the Add New Server window:
- Step 1: Type or copy/paste the following link: https://csulb.blackboard.com.
- Step 2: Log in to Beachboard and go to the course you want to use.
- Click on Control Panel and copy the url for the course into the text box in Step 2.
- Step 3: Click Extract. Respondus will automatically fill in the fields in Step 3..
- Enter a name for your settings, so you may easily refer to it later (example: csulb).
- Enter your campus ID and Beachboard password under login information. You may save this information on your computer so you don’t have to enter it every time you use Respondus.
- Click OK.
- On the next page, click Next.
Retrieving an Exam from Beachboard
Respondus will "retrieve" an exam from Beachboard, which then allows the file to be edited, published to another online course, or printed using Respondus. (Printing straight from Beachboard yields an unattractive format.)
- From the Retrieval & Reports menu, select the Retrieve Questions tab.
- Choose the Blackboard server from the list.
- Choose the Course from the list.
- Enter a name for the Respondus file that will be created once the exam is retrieved.
- Click the Retrieve button to complete the download process and to create the new Respondus file.