Parent Group Committees
There are several committees on which the parents
or guardians of Upward Bound students are encouraged to participate.
The Planning Committee:
- assists in the planning, coordination and chaperoning of Upward
Bound sponsored activities.
- works directly with Upward Bound staff in developing social
and educational activities for both students and parents.
- establishes a yearly calendar of events.
- identifies potential parental workshop topics (i.e. adolescent
coping strategies, financial planning, monitoring students academic
- initiates ideas, investigate resources and coordinate fund-raising
- works closely with Upward Bound staff and other parents components
to solicit money-raising ideas.
- develops, identifies and plans 2-3 annual fund-raising activities
(i.e. raffles, bake sales, etc.).
Communication/Phone Tree Committee:
- maintains monthly contact with parents via telephone or correspondence.
- contacts and coordinates parental involvement in program activities.
- develops and maintains current mailing list of all parents.
- develops regular mailings to parents.
- works in conjunction with Upward Bound staff.
- designs and prepares brochures, posters correspondence, tickets
and other media resources to advertise student and parent activities.
- develops a parent newsletter twice a year.
- develops a speaker's bureau that discuses and disseminates Upward
Bound information to community-based and private sector organizations.
- shops, prepares, orders and serves food for snacks during Saturday
- plans and prepares refreshments and menus for student, parent
or other special events.
- identifies parents available to chaperone student activities.