At CSULB, we recognize adult learners have needs different from those of traditional transfer students or first-time freshmen. See below for admission information and services to assist you in your transition to CSULB.
- If you are not currently attending a college or university or you have attended one in the past, you are considered an adult re-entry student.
- If you are currently attending a community college or university, you are considered a transfer student.
- If you have never attended a college or university and were CSU eligible as a high school graduate, you are considered a first-time freshman for admission purposes.
Note: If you have never attended a community college or university and you were not CSU eligible from high school, then completing the required coursework at a community college is highly recommended for admission consideration to CSULB. For more information, see our transfer admission information below.
CSULB's re-entry services are designed for those seeking to enter or re-enter the university. This comprehensive workshop is free! Register online today.
This workshop covers the following:
- Preparation, application and admission to the university;
- Orientation to academic programs and student support services;
- Development of an individualized educational strategy.
To receive additional information or register for a transfer admission workshop, please visit our Transfer Admission Information page.
CSULB continues to be a high-demand campus and expects to receive more applications than can be accommodated. To maintain the quality of CSULB's academic programs and services, supplemental admission criteria will be applied to transfer applicants. All transfer applicants must apply during the initial filing period: October 1 - November 30 for a Fall transfer and August 1 - 31 for a Spring transfer. All transfer applicants must apply to a specific major. For updates on transfer admission requirements and deadlines, students should refer to the transfer admission requirements.
For specific major preparation and major graduation requirements: Please contact your major department to determine the availability and types of advising opportunities for individual advising or group information sessions. Visit CSULB to find contact information for your specific academic department.
For specific general education requirements:
New incoming students should review ASSIST.org-California's official online system for determining transferability of courses taken at a California Community College- for information on general education requirements and major and department course equivalencies.
Former CSULB students returning to the university can find information on general education requirements here.