Career Development Center
Brotman Hall, Rm. 250 (BH-250) • (562) 985-4151 • www.careers.csulb.edu
The Career Development Center provides a full range of innovative programs and resources to assist your student with exploring academic and career alternatives, investigating and preparing for professional and graduate school programs, learning job search skills and strategies and locating internships, part-time employment and career opportunities. CDC staff is dedicated to meeting the unique needs of every student through all phases of their career development. The center encourages individual personal discoveries, including those learned from a range of life experiences and the academic world.
Parents have an integral role in assisting their student in making successful academic and career decisions:
- Listen to your student’s ideas, hopes and fears. Remain open-minded.
- Support your student’s exploration of interests, majors and career paths, even if it is not what you imagined.
- Encourage your student to begin career planning early. Visit the center to explore available programs and services.
- Help your student develop decision- making skills. Look at available options, weigh the benefits and disadvantages, make a tentative decisionand try it out!
- Emphasize the importance of internships, job shadowing, volunteering, informational interviewing and part-time and summer employment experiences.
- Discuss career-related issues, such as trendy jobs, way of life, salary and working in a field you enjoy.
- Discuss the value of networking with people in careers of interest.
- Encourage your student to connect with faculty (make an office visit, ask
questions), utilize available campus resources and become involved in co-curricular activities.