May 3, 2018
Good morning, DSA,
As we approach the end of the academic year, I am always reminded of what an exciting time this is for us and especially for our students. With the pressures of wrapping up the fiscal year and preparing for end-of-the-year celebrations while still providing high-quality services, May is often our busiest time on campus. With all of these things in mind, I hope that you are practicing self-care and finding time to reflect on the outstanding work that we have all been a part of this year.
Our first cultural graduation celebration took place over the weekend, with students from the Pacific Islander Association hosting the 27th Annual Luau. Thank you to all of the staff who helped make this event such a success, as you can see in the pictures below. Last week, AVP John Hamilton and our Assistant Director of Assessment & Evaluation, Kerry Klima, held a Data Workshop to review incorporating assessment practices into our efforts, making data-informed decisions, and data dashboards. The workshop also highlighted our partnership with Institutional Research staff. I look forward to our ever-increasing utilization of data and assessment to inform our efforts. We also held an expanded Managers Meeting with the Directors, Associate Directors, and Assistant Directors a couple weeks ago. Provost Jersky and VP Scott Apel presented on the budget; VP/CIO Min Yao presented on the Smart Campus Initiative; and I shared an update regarding our Division reorganization. Strategic planning and goal setting were other important topics discussed, and I hope that you are all working together on your SWOT analyses and coming together as teams to identify ways in which your respective areas can grow and thrive in the upcoming year.
We also have a number of new and familiar faces that have joined us in the Division over the past month or so.
- We have a new Director of Disabled Student Services starting this month. Carmen Varela has an established background as an Advocate, Program Coordinator, and American Sign Language Interpreter. She is also a product of the CSU having earned her undergraduate and master’s degrees at CSU Dominguez Hills and CSU Northridge respectively. With that in mind, it’s important to acknowledge Dave Sanfilippo and all of his accomplishments and contributions to our Division and campus. We will be holding a retirement celebration for Dave on May 21 @ 3:00 p.m. in the Chartroom.
- Dr. Ken Kelly has been named Associate Dean of Students. In this new role, Ken will lead the Student Emergency Intervention & Wellness Program as well as the Women’s Gender & Equity Center. He will continue to take part in our Title IX efforts and work closely with our Dean of Students, Dr. Piya Bose.
- Dr. Maleta Wilson has been named Interim Title IX Director, having served as our Assistant Director of Fraternity & Sorority Life in SLD. Maleta has extensive experience working in the private sector, public sector, and in law enforcement, which will help to guide her efforts in her new role.
- I hope you have had the opportunity to meet Dr. Trace Camacho, our new Director of Student Life & Development (SLD). Trace comes to Long Beach State from the University of Arizona where he served as the Assistant Dean of Students for Fraternity and Sorority Programs. He also spent seven years as the Assistant Director in the Office of Student Life at Michigan State University.
- Two new Assistant Directors have been hired in Outreach & School Relations: Mekonnen Garedew and Corion Lucas. Both previously worked in Outreach, and we are excited to have them back as Evelyn Daliwan has done a great job in her first year leading the department.
We are currently completing searches for key management positions including the Director of CAPS, Director of Access & Retention Initiatives, and Title IX Investigator. Once those searches are complete, I will be sure to inform you.
You all should have received the Save the Date for Division Day. I am excited to host this event once again, and I am looking forward to all of us working together in the same room as we discuss being Leaders Without Titles. Additionally, I will be handing out our Hats Off Awards. The Hats Off Award was envisioned to recognize those staff members who go above and beyond each and every day. If you would like to nominate someone, please share their name and a description of their efforts going above and beyond each day to Travis by July 1.
Lastly, please stop by the Division website (www.csulb.edu/students) when you have a moment. It’s been updated and organized to be more user-friendly and student-focused.
Carmen Taylor, Ph.D.
Vice President, Student Affairs
- January 31, 2018 - A Message from VP Taylor
- December 20, 2017 - Happy Holidays from VP Taylor
- November 22, 2017 - Thanksgiving Message from VP Taylor
- September 27, 2017 - A Message from VP Taylor
- August 24, 2017 - We're Listening: In Response to Charlottesville
- August 18, 2017 - Dean of Students Announcement