Eligibility Requirements for the McNair Scholars Program
- U.S. Citizens or permanent residents of the
- Either low-income individuals who are first-generation
college students, and/or members of a group traditionally underrepresented
in doctorate education – African American, Hispanic, American
Indian/Alaskan Native, and Pacific Islander. (The Federal Guidelines define the term "first
generation college student" as (A) an individual both of whose
parents did not complete a baccalaureate degree; or (B) in the case
of any individual who regularly resided with and received support
from only one parent, an individual whose only such parent did not
complete a baccalaureate degree.)
- Enrolled in a formal degree program at California
State University, Long Beach on a full-time basis.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Must have completed 40 academic units. (For the purpose
of determining the number of units you have completed, you may include
the number of units you are currently enrolled in this semester.)
- Upon submission of application during fall semester, applicants must have a minimum of three semesters to complete.
- Must be planning to pursue future doctoral study. (Students interested
in studying law, dentistry, medicine or veterinary careers are not
eligible for this program.)