There are two different ways to become involved with the Health Resource Center (HRC):
1) Wellness Warriors
2) Peer Educators
Wellness Warriors are our outreach volunteers who represent the Student Health Services on campus.
Job duties include:
- Attend trainings to learn about a variety of health topics in the HRC
- Set up, conduct outreach and clean up tables, chairs, etc. for outreach events on campus
- Promote the Student Health Services and all of our programs during events
What are we looking for?
- Able to volunteer an average of 2 hours per week.
- Minimum commitment of one semester.
- Excellent verbal skills
- Professional and responsible
- Comfortable talking to students, staff and faculty about our programs and health education topics
- Comfortable talking about topics important to college students (e.g., alcohol and drug use/abuse, sexual health, tobacco use/abuse, sexual assault, etc.)
- Comfortable conducting condom demonstrations
If you are interested, please submit the following package to email@example.com
- Cover letter stating your interest and intentions
We have a core group of internal peer educators who will work in the Health Resource Center. This is for interns, volunteers and paid student assistants.
What we are looking for:
- Must be able to work a minimum of 12 hours per week (maximum of 20 hours/week).
- Must commit to a minimum of one full semester regardless of required internship hours.
- Confident speaking in front of your peers.
- Comfortable talking about topics important to college students (e.g., alcohol and drug use/abuse, tobacco use/abuse, sexual health, etc.).
- Professional, responsible, self-motivated, and mature.
- Open-minded and nonjudgmental (about race, religion, sexual orientation, health choices, etc.).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Capable of working independently and in team environments.
- Passionate about health promotion, public health, and wellness.
- Capable of being absolutely confidential about other people's private medical affairs.
Job Duties include:
- Attending trainings and meetings.
- Teaching workshops for CSULB students on sexual health, stress reduction, drugs, alcohol, sexual misconduct, bystander intervention methods, campus wellness services, etc.
- Implementing outreach events on campus to increase awareness about different health topics (includes tabling, walking, carrying items and talking to students).
- Training Wellness Warriors to conduct outreach events on campus.
- Assisting health educators and supervisors with special projects.
- Writing articles for website and blog, and engaging in our social media.
- Scheduling appointments for patients, answering phones and providing information about our programs and services to students.
- All training provided!
If you are interested, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter (include what qualifies you, how you will con
- tribute, etc.)
- Current resume Writing sample (choose a paper you have written that you are proud to submit).
For more information, call Heidi Girling at (562) 985-7182 or visit our website at: www.csulb.edu/hrc/peereducatoropportunities