Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Health Resource Center, Student Health Services
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

Travelers' Health: North America

GlobeNorth America consists of Canada, United States, Mexico and the Central America Countries. 

If you are a foreigner traveling to the United States, here is some useful information about any specific precautions and certificates required to enter to the United States.

Disease Special Precautions Certificate Required
Yellow Fever
No No
No No
Typhoid and Polio
No -
No -
Food and Drink
No -

Health Care

Medical insurance providing cover up to at least $500,000 is strongly advised. Only emergency cases are treated without prior payment and treatment will often be refused without evidence of insurance or a deposit. Medical facilities are generally of an extremely high standard. Those visiting the USA for long periods with school-aged children should be aware that school entry requirements include proof of immunization against diphtheria, measles, poliomyelitis and rubella throughout the USA, and schools in many states also require immunization against tetanus, pertussis and mumps. HIV-positive visitors must apply at the Embassy for a waiver of ineligibility before entry.

The United States and Canada are fairly safe countries to visit. They have very low rates of infectious diseases. Drinking the water and eating from restaurants are relatively safe. As a tourist, one should be aware of your environment and be careful with imposters who may want to take advantage of you.

For More Information

Ask your doctor or check the Centers for Disease Control Web site for more information about how to protect yourself against diseases that occur in Eastern and Western Europe.

Be sure to read the information about all the regions you are planning to visit. CDC Travel Page

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

1600 Clifton Rd.
Atlanta, GA 30333
Public Inquiries
(404) 639-3534
(800) 311-3435
(404) 639-3312 (TTY)