We are very excited to welcome you to Housing & Residential Life at CSULB! To help make your transition to college life as smooth as possible, Move-In information will be posted here throughout the summer. Don’t forget to check your email frequently so you don’t miss important emails.
Room / Community Details
- New residents: Double-check your arrival time and building placement, sent via email in early August. Check the Move In Day Map - PDF to locate your building, where you will check in.
- Re-read the Resident Handbook - PDF and familiarize yourself with policies and procedures.
- You can communicate with your future roommate via the Resident Portal. You might want to talk about what items you will share and who will bring them? (TV, video game system, etc.)
- Find your student ID (returning residents only)
- Pack! Print our Packing Checklist - PDF (or Accessible version of the Packing Checklist - PDF) for ideas.
- Get excited!
- XL Twin bed + mattress (80” x 34”)
- Internet (wired and wireless*)
- Basic cable (digital QAM tuner required + coaxial cable (10’ suggested length))
- Electricity, gas, and water
We encourage you to make the Beach your home, and that includes decorating your space! However, do not insert any items into the walls or ceilings of your room (hooks, nails, etc.) – you may hang posters and décor with removable adhesive hooks (e.g., Command Hooks) or blue painters’ tape. Please refer to the Resident Handbook for the policies regarding decorations and posting.
- Your community is as safe as you make it. All halls are locked 24/7 with access only to residents of that building with their Beach ID. Remember to lock doors and windows when you leave your room and suite.
- Blue light call boxes are located throughout campus for immediate access to UPD. Safe Ride provides free rides to students. Refer to UPD’s website for additional information and tips - csulb.edu/university-police
- Be sure to write down serial numbers for all electronic devices that you bring to campus. Safes are available for rental though Collegiate Concepts, Inc.
- The University is not liable for damaged or missing items and strongly recommends renter’s insurance.
- Bicycles – There are bicycle racks in front of each building area. A U-lock is recommended. Bicycles may be kept in students rooms (except I House) if both roommates agree, but are not permitted in any suite, living room, or common areas. UPD will be at the Bookstore Bash for bike registration.
- Shuttle – All shuttles are free of charge. Shuttle riders are required to present their CSULB ID card when boarding any campus shuttle. All shuttles operate during fall and spring semesters only. (Note: Special Beach Days shuttles will be available; information forthcoming). More information about shuttle.
- Long Beach Transit – The U-Pass TAP program provides unlimited rides on all Long Beach Transit buses to students who are currently enrolled or faculty/staff members that are actively employed by the university. More information about obtaining TAP stickers.
- Parking – First time freshmen are not eligible to purchase campus parking permitted and are expected to utilize public transportation. Resident parking permits are purchased online and are limited. Residents with valid parking permitted are permitted to park in the designated areas in R1, R2, R3, and at Beachside. See FAQs about parking.
- Laundry - Each community has laundry facilities. Payment is made with Beach Bucks via your ID.
- Housekeeping - Residents are responsible for the cleanliness of their individual spaces (residence hall rooms, suite bedrooms). All interior and exterior public areas (restrooms in suites and residence halls, hallways, lobbies, etc.) are maintained by a custodial staff.
- Maintenance - University Housing Facilities Maintenance Staff repairs public areas of buildings and within individual resident rooms. Damages or non-working items in your room can be resolved and corrected by a maintenance request available at the Residential Life Portal website.
- View FAQs about living on campus.
- You can pay online with a debit card or e-check through your MyCSULB account or mail in a check to the cashier’s office. You can also check your specific amount on your MyCSULB account. Payments are due the first business day of every month.
- If you need an extension on a payment, you may come into the Housing Office before the payment date and fill out an extension form. If approved, you will have up to 15 days after the due date to pay the amount.
- Failure to pay your amount due by your due date (either first business day or extended date) will result in the fee being applied. There is a $20 one-time late fee.
- View FAQs about Housing Finance.
Move In - THE BIG DAYMove In Steps - PDF
Move In Steps - Accessible - PDF
To ease your move-in process, we have implemented a check-in schedule to avoid long delays. Your cooperation in arriving within your designated time period will expedite the process for all residents. Students who arrive outside of their designated time will be asked to wait for those on time arrivals.
Upon arrival, you should park and leave your belongings in your car and go straight to the common area of your assigned building. Be prepared to present identification and/or your student ID number. You will be greeted by your Residential Assistant (RA) and directed to your room.
Residents will receive their student ID card upon check in. ID Card photos were taking during SOAR; if you did not attend SOAR, ID Card Services will be in the Service Center of your residential college in order to take your photo and print your card. The ID card serves as the key to your building and room.
Parking permits will not be required on Wednesday August 21 for first-time resident Move-In. When you arrive to campus, you should park in Beachside resident parking or a designated General Parking lot (the east side of G1, the northwest side of G2, G3, the northeast side of G4, G5, G6, the east side of G7, the east side of G8, and G9 are available for parking).
DROP & GO ZONES: There will be 4 Drop & Go zones on campus for students to unload their belongings. After checking in at your designated building, residents will be directed to the Drop & Go zone closest to their Residence Hall. One person must remain in the driver’s seat while the car is being unloaded. Move In Assistants will be available to assist with transporting items to your room and will be easily identifiable by their bright yellow t-shirts. When the car has been completely unloaded, the driver will need to move the car immediately in order to allow others to unload.
After unloading the car, the driver will again park the car in a designated General Parking lot or Beachside resident parking.
Parking permits will be required beginning at 7am on Thursday, August 22.
Returning Resident Move-In
Returning residents must bring their Student ID and will check in at the service center, which will include encoding their ID card for their new room. If a replacement is needed, ID Card Services can be contacted at 562-985-7388 or IDCard@csulb.edu.
Returning residents who are moving to Beachside but previously lived in Parkside/Hillside will need to obtain a new ID before moving in.
Your College Service Center is your connection for many services provided by University Housing. Each Service Center is open Monday – Friday from 8:00 AM – 10:00 PM and Saturday – Sunday from 10:00 AM - 10:00 PMService Center Numbers
Service centers sort mail and packages; after mail and packages arrive, desk staff will notify you via email.
- Parkside College Address
HALL NAME – ROOM #
1601 Earl Warren Drive
Long Beach CA 90815
- Hillside College Address
HALL NAME – ROOM #
5851 Beach Drive
Long Beach CA 90815
- Beachside College Address<
HALL NAME – ROOM #
4835 Pacific Coast Hwy
Long Beach CA 90804
The residential experience will promote engaged community membership through cultural, intellectual, and personal development opportunities. Residents will be encouraged to explore their own identities and values, build relationships with their peers, create a sense of community belonging and shared responsibility, and connect to various academic and non-academic campus resources. The staff will get to know residents through one-on-one conversations and group interactions. As a result of living in Housing & Residential Life residents will gain valuable knowledge, skills, and abilities that are applicable in various aspects of their lives.
The Forty-Niner Shops would like to welcome you to your college home by having your books ready for you when you arrive! Order your books online through the University Bookstore by August 12, 2019, and they’ll be waiting for you on Move-In Day at the Bookstore. Visit the Bookstore and tons of other campus/community resources at the Bookstore Bash from 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday August 21.
Move-In DatesWednesday August 21, 2019 – First time resident move in
Friday August 23, 2019 – Returning resident move in
First Time Residents -
August 21, 2019
Move In Day Schedule
8:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Move In (your specific arrival window will be sent via email in late July)
10:30 AM: Housing Parent & Family Orientation
11:00 AM - 4:00 PM: Bookstore Bash
01:00 PM: Housing Parent & Family Orientation
Move In Assistance
During First Time Resident Move-In we offer extra help to make moving in a breeze. Move In Assistants will be available to assist with transporting items from the Drop-and-Go Zones - PDF to your room and will be easily identifiable by their bright yellow t-shirts. We also will have large rolling bins available. Packing in boxes and luggage makes it easy for the volunteers to assist!