Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

Frequently Asked Questions About Moving In and Living In the Residence Halls

  1. I did not receive the Financial Aid award that I anticipated, now what do I do?

    Residents are responsible for the balance of the housing payments and any other charge on their University Student Account that is not covered and paid by your financial aid disbursements.

  2. Which residential college will I be assigned to?

    Residents will have the opportunity to select their own room through the housing web portal, after being confirmed a housing space.  For residents who do not select a room during the process, based on the availability, we try to honor the highest residential college preference. If you wish to change your college preferences log back in to the application web portal and update your preferences.

  3. When can I move in?

    Move-in for 2017-2018 academic year will occur on Saturday, August 19. There is a central check-in location, located on campus in lot 14C. You will need your Campus ID to move-in. We will email students additional move-in information and their specific move-in time in the first week of August.

  4. When may I see my room?

    You’ll see your own room the day you move in. To see a typical room and suite arrangement we invite you to take a residence hall tour during the summer months. The tour takes approximately 30 minutes and reservations are not required. For more information go to our University Housing Tours page.

  5. When will I meet my roommate?

    You’ll meet your roommate during move-in weekend. However, you can communicate through the CSULB Housing Web Portal one week after the roommate selection process is completed.

  6. When does food service begin?

    Fall semester dining service begins with a brunch on Sunday, August 20.

  7. If I decide to skip a meal, is any portion of the fee refundable?

    No. Meal plans are not refundable and not transferable. We know that every resident probably won’t attend every meal offered under a specific meal plan and we have adjusted costs accordingly.

  8. Internet and cable television service that is included.

    Wireless internet is available in all residential colleges using Beachnet+. The only exception is the International House bedrooms which utilize a wired connection. If you live in International House and you plan on connecting to the internet, you will need to supply your own Ethernet cable. Wireless printers will not work on Beachnet+, we recommend a printer that will allow a usb connection. Digital cable television is available in all residential colleges. If you plan on bringing a television it will require a QAM Digital Tuner for it to work with the cable tv system.

  9. Where do I get my mail?

    There are mailboxes in each hall office. You will be assigned a mailbox when you move in. The mail is delivered to each residence hall, Monday through Saturday, and placed in each mailbox by the residence staff.

  10. What items should I bring?

    We suggest you bring almost anything that will make you feel at home in your room. Listed below are some essentials.

    • Towels & washcloths
    • Alarm clock
    • Toiletries
    • Sheets (twin extra long 80" x 34")
    • Pillowcase
    • Blankets/BedspreadLaundry basket/detergent
  11. What furnishings must I provide?

    All rooms are furnished with a bed, dresser, desk, chair, bookshelf, wastebasket, closet and mirror for each resident. Residents must provide their own blankets bedspreads, towels, sheets, pillowcases and study lamps (no halogen lamp).

  12. What is the bed size?

    All beds are 80 inches x 34 inches. We provide mattress covers and bed pillows. Be sure your bed linens are “twin extra long.”

  13. May I bring a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, iron and hot plate?

    Small appliances are allowed except for hot plates or halogen lamps, they are a real fire hazard. Please be selective in bringing small appliances as your bedroom electrical infrastructure will not support a large number of appliances. Try to coordinate with your roommate when you move in to eliminate duplicate items.

  14. Is parking available for residents?

    First year students who choose to live in the Hillside or Parkside Residential Colleges are not eligible to purchase campus parking permits. First year students in Hillside or Parkside Residential Colleges may not bring a car to campus and instead are expected to utilize public transportation. 

    On-campus parking availability is reducing in response to long-term campus planning, sustainability, and increased enrollment at California State University, Long Beach.

    If not a first time freshman living in Hillside or Parkside, there are student parking lots adjacent to all the Colleges; however, students must purchase a parking permit from the Parking and Transportation Services Department. The campus does have a large student body and parking on campus can be difficult at times.  Hillside and Parkside Colleges are within walking distance from the rest of campus. On-campus shuttle vans are in service Monday through Friday. Beachside College is located a mile away from the main campus. Due to limited parking spots at the Beachside College, residents at Beachside College are strongly encourage to use the free shuttle vans which operate every day from Beachside to Campus. For further information about Campus Shuttles go here.

  15. Is storage space available?

    Sorry, we simply don’t have storage spaces available.

  16. May I have visitors?

    Certainly. Invited guests may visit in your room at times mutually acceptable to you and your roommate. Guests may stay overnight in student rooms with residents of the same sex if the host resident’s roommate gives permission (written permission is highly recommended). All overnight guests must be registered at the hall office. Overnight guests may stay no longer than two (2) nights a month.

  17. Do I have to move out at semester break and spring break?

    Your license does not cover either of these periods, but you can leave your belongings in your room during these times; however we suggest you take your valuables home with you. If you plan to stay during either of these periods, you will be required to sign an additional license and pay a nominal fee. You will not be allowed access to your room over the breaks unless you have paid. No meals are served during these periods and no guests or visitors are allowed.

  18. How will I receive messages from Housing?

    We will call, email or mail you information regarding on-campus housing. However, in the coming months, our primary method of communication is email. Please be sure to update your email address in your MyCSULB profile.