Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

Frequently Asked Questions About Living on Campus

  1. How much does it cost to live on campus?

    Housing rates vary depending on the room options and meal plans you select. View information about detailed housing costs.

  2. Are housing tours available?

    Yes. To see a typical room and suite arrangement, we invite you to take a residence hall tour. The tour takes approximately 30 minutes and reservations are not required. View additional tour information.

  3. Why do you say "residence hall" and not "dormitory"?

    The term "dorm" or "dormitory" is a throwback to the 1940's, 50's and 60's when 18-year-olds were not legal adults and facilities looked and were operated rather like barracks. On-campus housing has gone through a tremendous period of development since then. Today, residents live, study, interact and grow through a wide range of social and educational programs. So the term 'residence hall' truly reflects on-campus housing in the present times.

  4. Is housing guaranteed for first-time freshmen?

    All first-time freshman are required to live in University Housing during the their first year at CSULB unless you are 21 years or older or will be living at home with a parent(s) or legal guardian(s) during their entire freshmen year. . More information of the Freshman Residential Requirement can be found here.

  5. What are the rooms like? What's the difference between the "suite design" and the "traditional design" halls?

    All the rooms, either in suite or in the traditional halls are approximately 15 feet x 11 feet.

    Suite design style halls are a cluster of three, four or seven rooms with a shared bathroom. This style of housing can be found in Parkside and Hillside Colleges. Traditional style halls have double rooms along a long hallway and common bathroom facilities which are shared by all residents who live in that wing. Traditional style halls are located in Hillside College Los Alamitos & Los Cerritos Halls. Beachside College offers a hybrid of both designs with long hallways and a bathroom for every two rooms. Please visit our Residential Colleges page for additional hall information.

  6. How many people share a bathroom?

    The shared bathroom sizes vary depending on which hall you live in. The ratio is approximately six to seven residents (Hillside -Suites); twelve to fourteen residents (Parkside); four to five residents (Beachside), and approximately twenty to thirty residents (Hillside- Traditional) sharing a bathroom. That may sound congested, but remember that your hall/suitemates will probably be on different schedules. Rarely will this present a problem.

  7. What are the different meal plans available? How many times may I enter the dining hall during a meal period?

    There are five meal plans offered for the 2015-2016 Academic Year For further information, please visit our Residential Dining Services page.

  8. May I increase or decrease my meal plan during the school year?

    Changing food service options is possible, but only during the last two weeks of the Fall semester.

  9. What if my work or class schedule doesn't fit the regular dining hall hours?

    The residential dining halls will have continuous dining hours, so that there is only one open and close time.  These hours are still to be determine.  Within the continuous dining hours, there will be established meal times for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Operating hours at the three residence dining halls were established to accommodate students who work, participate in athletic teams or have broken class schedules. Residents are welcome to dine in any of the dining halls and have the option at weekday breakfast to make their own sack lunch. If you cannot make dinner, you are allowed to get a take away carton during the lunch hours.

  10. May I simply rent a hall space and not participate in the food service plan?

    The license has to include a room and board (meal) plan. As there are no cooking facilities in the residence halls, students who don't want food service should choose an apartment off campus.

  11. Is it true that smoking and alcohol are not permitted in the residence halls?

    True, in both cases. In accordance with the university policy and to assure a safer and more healthful environment for everyone, CSULB is a non-smoking campus. Smoking is not permitted in any residence hall or on university grounds. Possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited in and around the residence halls. The no-alcohol policy meets federal requirements for colleges and universities and the expressed desire of many students and parents for a quieter, more educational environment. Approximately 80 percent of the residence hall students are under the age of 21, thus the policy significantly impacts only a small number of residents.

  12. Is it easy to meet other students when you live in a residence hall?

    Absolutely! Living in University Housing is by far the easiest, most convenient way to get acquainted. Many free or inexpensive programs and events sponsored by the residence life staff and the Residence Hall Association will help you get acquainted, become involved, and have a great time.

  13. Who supervises the residence halls?

    Residential College Coordinators (RCC), Assistant Residential College Coordinators(ARCC) and Resident Assistants(RA) oversee each living environment. They are housing professionals, who are responsible for the overall operation of their residence hall, as well as being a resource and advisor to all residents. There are also paraprofessionals (Faculty in Residence) and graduates (Residential Advising Mentor) who coordinate activities, advise about university resources, and assist residents in their transition to college life.

  14. What if I have special needs in my accommodations while living on campus?

    Residents who are in need of special accommodations, that cannot be met by gender-neutral housing options, should email the housing office at with their name, campus id, phone number, and the nature of their special accommodation request.  University Housing will review the nature of the request, and contact you, to let you know if your request can be fulfilled.