Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

Frequently Asked Questions About the Housing Application Process

  1. How do I apply for housing?

    To be considered for University Housing for an academic year, all students must submit an online application by using the CSULB Housing Web Portal. Housing spaces are filled on a date priority basis. Applicants can check their application status on the CSULB Housing Web Portal. Keep checking your status as applicants will be confirmed throughout the summer months. Please note: a signed housing license does not mean you have been offered a space.

  2. What is the Campus ID Number? How can I obtain my Campus ID?

    Campus Identification (Campus ID) is unique nine-digit number assigned to each student who submitted an application to CSU, Long Beach. Campus ID can be obtained through Student Enrollment Services Department at 562-985-5471.

  3. What is the application service fee?

    The service fee is $275 and is NON-REFUNDABLE. Be sure that you submit a completed license agreement, signed with payment before the deadline date. Unfortunately, license agreements that are received without a paid service fee will be considered ‘incomplete’ and will not be processed. The service fee is credited toward your total cost and is not  a deposit.

  4. How can I pay the service fee?

    You can pay online through the CSULB Housing WebPortal's secure payment system or send in a personal or cashiers check. Money Orders are not accepted. Make checks payable to CSULB. Postmarks will not be honored. Be sure to include your name and campus I.D. number on all correspondence and on each check and send it to:
    Housing and Residential Life Office
    1250 Bellflower Blvd.
    Long Beach, CA 90840-8701

  5. How will I know if my license and service fee were received by Housing Office? Will I be notified that I have a room or if I am on the paid waiting list?

    You can check your application status online by logging on to the CSULB Housing Web Portal. You will not be contacted by the Housing Office regarding your status. If you have been confirmed for housing, information will be sent to you using your preferred email address. This information will include the dates to log on to the Web Portal for roommate and room selection. If you are on the paid wait list, we are not able to predict how quickly or slowly the paid waiting list may change; it all depends on the number of cancellations we receive throughout the summer and fall. Check the CSULB Housing Web Portal often for updates to your status. You must cancel your housing application using the CSULB Housing Web Portal should you decide you no longer need University housing.

  6. What if I decide to cancel and not live on campus?

    Please refer to the Cancellation Policy for CSULB Housing Applications here.

    Important information about Cancelling

    YOU MUST cancel your license agreement online with the Housing office.  Stop payment on checks or cancelling with university admissions does not cancel your housing agreement. (This includes denied admission; choosing not to attend CSULB, finding off campus housing, or etc.)

  7. If I was not confirmed for housing, but on the waitlist and decide to cancel, will the service fee be refunded?

    Yes, if you are cancelling after July 19, 2017 and you are still on the waitlist. If you have been offered a bed space your service fee is non-refundable. If you paid online, the processing fees are non-refundable. Be sure to cancel with the Housing Office for any reason (including denied admission), even if you have already cancelled with the Admission or Enrollment Services Office. Remember if you want to cancel your housing application you need log on to the CSULB Housing Web Portal. 

  8. I am currently on the waitlist with a high number, are there any options if I am not confirmed a space?

    Visit our Off-Campus Housing page. There you will find links to the Off-Campus Listing Service, local newspaper classifieds and hotel listings for short stays.

  9. How can I find out more information about a Housing charge? How do I contest a charge?

    Questions or concerns regarding Housing charges (cancellation fees, pro-rated charges, damage billing, etc.) should first be directed to our office at (562) 985-4187. If a student then desires to contest a charge that is determined to be valid by our office, he or she may do so by submitting a written appeal within 30 days of the posting of the charge. Failure to contest the charges within the 30 day time period shall constitute a waiver of any claim the student may have.

    Written appeals will be reviewed monthly by a committee composed of University staff and students. Please note that once an account has been submitted to a non-University collection agency, students are no longer eligible to appeal charges.

    Requirements to submit an appeal

    • Appeals may be mailed, faxed, e-mailed or delivered to the CSULB Housing and Residential Life Office.
    • The appeal must be submitted in writing by the student who was charged. Please include a full description of the charges and the reason(s) for the dispute of the charges along with any supporting documentation.
    • The written appeal and complete supporting documentation are due before the request will be submitted to the Appeals Committee.
    • Students will receive written notification of the Committee's decision via email. Please include an e-mail address with the appeal.
    • The decision of the Appeals Committee is final.