Expository Reading & Writing Course (ERWC)
The Expository Reading & Writing Course (ERWC) is a college preparatory English class for high school seniors that is designed to promote strong critical thinking skills, academic literacy, and writing ability.
- Students will develop skills and habits important for meeting the expectations of college and university faculty.
- Passing ERWC with a grade of “C” or better enables a higher English readiness category - PDF for some CSU first-year students
- ERWC satisfies California A-G requirements for English/language arts
- ERWC integrates CA Common Core Standards for English, Language Arts, & Literacy
- High school English language arts teachers may register for a four-day workshop series to become an ERWC-certified instructor. Co-sponsored by the CSU and the California County Offices of Education, there is no fee for registration or materials.
- Visit the Cal State website to register and see upcoming certification dates
- Schools in the CSULB local admission area should contact the CSULB EAP Coordinator for support.
- Follow the adoption process - PDF outlined by the CSU Center for Advancement of Reading & Writing.
- Download the ERWC adoption application form - PDF.
- Learn more about adoption by visiting the ERWC online community home page