Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Bob Murphy ACCESS Center.
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

Services Provided by the Support Services & Advising Program


Support Services Program at the Bob Murphy ACCESS Center (BMAC) also provides advising for general education courses. In order to take advantage of these services, please call and make an appointment with an advisor.

Disabled/Medical Parking

BMAC Parking Procedures for Permanent and Temporary Disabilities

On the CSULB campus, accessible parking is offered for students with a DMV disabled placard or a letter from a doctor for a temporary disability. When you come in for your access, please provide your student ID number, license plate number and your placard number.

Accessible Parking rules for students with DMV placards:

-You MUST have a paid parking permit from CSULB.

-Permits can be purchased through your “myCSULB” account or in person at the Parking Services Office. You will need to know your license plate number or the last 7 digits of your VIN, in order to purchase a permit.

-Bob Murphy ACCESS Center (BMAC) will authorize you to park on campus in accessible spots once you have registered for parking that specific semester. To do this, please visit Support Services (Peterson Hall 2, SSC-110) and make sure you have already purchased parking.

-BMAC will submit your information to Parking Services and you will receive an email stating the dates in which you may park in accessible parking spots. Do not park in those spots until the email has been received. Doing so before receiving an email will result in a parking ticket.

-You may park in any blue disabled spot, faculty, staff, student and white unmarked spot. Parking in a marked spot such as “carpool,” “state vehicle,” “reserved,” “restricted,” or the “President’s” spot will result in a ticket.

-Students MUST pay to park in the metered spots, even if you have a DMV placard.

-When using the placard on the CSULB campus, you may not park in the loading zones for longer than the written time limit.

-Maps of the parking lots are available in the BMAC office and online.

Visitors to the Campus Who Have a DMV Disabled Placard:

-Visitors must follow all applicable state laws when using their DMV placard on the CSULB campus.

Temporary Accessible Parking:

-BMAC will issue a temporary accessible parking permit to students with the appropriate medical verification. A one-month pass can be issued. If it is needed for more than one month, you will need to obtain a placard from the DMV.

-You must have already purchased a parking permit before BMAC can issue temporary accessible parking.

-If you do not have a DMV disabled placard and would like to obtain one, BMAC can give you the DMV disabled placard application form. BMAC staff can assist you in filling out the form, but you will need to take the application form to your doctor and then to the DMV or AAA, in order to receive a DMV disabled placard.

BMAC does not handle parking tickets. Please take them to Parking Services. BMAC will not accept the ticket.


Frequently asked questions:

Can I have a pass if I am pregnant?

             Typically no.  If there is a complication with your pregnancy we can issue a one month temporary permit with a doctor’s note until you can get a placard.

What if I don’t have a placard?

             If you don’t have a placard, BMAC can give you the form for the DMV.  BMAC staff can assist you in filling out the form, but you will need to take the application form to your doctor and then to the DMV or AAA, in order to receive a DMV placard.  BMAC can also issue a temporary permit with valid medical verification for one month until you receive your DMV placard.   

Is there a fee waiver for parking permits at CSULB?

             The campus parking fee may be waived for students with disabilities who have a valid DMV disabled person placard or license plate and who meet the eligibility standards based on their financial information and documentation.  Please see BMAC or Financial Aid office for further assistance with this waiver. 

Parking Fee Waiver Form (PDF PDF icon, 169 KB)

If you have any other questions, please call the BMAC Support Services office at 562-985-4635.

Campus and Agency Liaison

BMAC acts as a liaison when issues need to be clarified between the student and university faculty administration.  BMAC also has working relationships with community organizations for the disabled , including the California State Department of Rehabilitation and independent living programs.  BMAC also serves as a liaison between the University Business Office and second party sponsorship of fees.

Test Taking Services

Special testing accommodation for course related examinations are arranged through Support Services Program. These accommodations include: readers, writers, monitors, extended time, and alternative testing locations. BMAC will provide you with the necessary paperwork and assistance in making these arrangements with your instructors. BMAC will also accommodate extended evening and weekend exams. Contact the Support Services Program at (562) 985-4635 for more information.

Students should also contact the Bob Murphy ACCESS Center to obtain necessary information regarding special accommodations for University (E P T, E L M, W P E) and standardized testing (G R E, L S A T, C BEST). Support Services Program will provide verification letters and complete special accommodations forms.

Note Takers

Support Services Program can assist in providing and hiring note takers for those who have difficulty taking notes for themselves because of their disability. Notes, however, will not be taken on the day of an absence.

Priority Registration

Undergraduate students receive priority registration following their initial semester at CSULB.

Our staff is here to assist students in accessing and understanding the registration system and helping with academic advising.

Scholarship Applications

Scholarship applications are available through the university's online scholarship application: CSULB Center for Scholarship Information