Early Outreach Information
School Serviced: McKinley Elementary School
Cal-SOAP provides the I’m Going to College program to the students at McKinley Elementary School. The mission of the I’m Going to College program is to educate fourth and fifth grade children from federally designated Title One schools about the benefits of college. Many of these children have few college role models and little knowledge about college opportunities. Cal-SOAP
is dedicated to facilitating the IGTC program by providing classroom lessons, IGTC handbooks, 3 school buses, backpacks and a “College Students for the Day” fieldtrip for all 4th grade students at McKinley Elementary School.
I’m Going to College (IGTC) Program
6 Week IGTC Program:
- Week 1: Parent information on Cal-SOAP and the IGTC program
- Weeks 2 to 5 week: Classroom presentations on college basics, careers, and financial aid
- Week 6: "College Student for a Day" Fieldtrip
IGTC Program Goals:
- To develop in young children aspirations and dreams of going to college in the future.
- To teach about the different types of colleges, careers, and financial aid.
- To reinforce the concept that students must begin preparing early for college by working hard, getting good grade,s and attending school regularly.
IGTC Program components:
- Trained college students come into 4th grade classrooms once a week over four weeks to deliver the IGTC curriculum.
- Students are given an IGTC student handbook to keep and use during the program.
- Students participate in hands-on classroom activities and homework assignments.
- The culminating activity, a "College Student for a Day" fieldtrip to a local university or community college, provides students with a simulated college experience.