Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Alcohol, Tobacco & Other Drugs Program
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Where is the ATOD Program Office?

    The ATOD Program Office is located in the Student Health Center, Room 268. (View map to Student Health Center)

  2. Who attends the ATOD 1-2-3 mandatory class?

    Students in violation of campus alcohol and drug policies are referred to the ATOD Program to attend the Step 1 Mandatory Class, Step 2 Counseling & Assessment, or Step 3 Appointment with Student Conduct & Ethical Development.

  3. What are the signs of alcohol poisoning?

    Signs of alcohol poisoning include: choking and/or persistent vomiting; irregular breathing that is fewer than 12 breaths per minute; no breathing for 10 seconds or more and shallow breathing; the skin appears cold, clammy or bluish; and the person won’t wake up.

  4. What should I do if someone has alcohol poisoning?

    If someone has alcohol poisoning, call 911; DO NOT LEAVE. Stay with the person until help arrives; turn the person on his or her side; monitor breathing closely.

  5. Who should I contact if I want to attend an Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meeting on campus?

    All students are welcome to attend the AA meetings on campus. The meetings are held every Wednesdays from 12pm-1pm in the Student Health Center, Room 268. Contact the ATOD Program at (562) 985-1732, for more information about AA meetings.

  6. What smoking cessation programs are offered on campus?

    For smoking cessation, students may make an appointment to with the ATOD staff to discuss options for smoking cessation. Studentswill also recieve a QUIT NOW! Quit Kit. The package includes information on various resources on smoking cessation methods. You may pick one up at the ATOD Program office in the SHS, Room 268.

  7. Are students age 21 and over, who live in the Residential Halls, allowed to drink alcohol in the rooms?

    No. Possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited in and around the residence halls regardless of age.

  1. What services are available to students in recovery?

    The ATOD Program offers a University sanctioned and supported collegiate recovery program for students in recovery. Please see information on our website about Beach Recovery.

  2. What is the campus policy on medical marijuana?

    The use of marijuana, whether prescribed or otherwise, is prohibited on campus grounds and facilities. California State University, Long Beach, enforces all drug laws in the university community. Violations of any of the above will result in legal sanctions, university sanctions or both (California Health and Safety Code, Division 10, all, and including, Section 11357 through 11401).

  3. What resources are available if a family member is involved with ATOD?

    The ATOD Program can provide information for Al-Anon services and locations in Long Beach and its surrounding cities.

  4. What types of outreach presentations does your program offer?

    The ATOD Program staff and peer educators offer D.A.T.E. (drug, alcohol, tobacco education) presentations on numerous Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drug issues, education and prevention.

  5. Are internship and volunteer opportunities available?

    Yes, the ATOD Program welcomes students who are interested in being part of our team.