Policies and Laws for Accessible Electronic and Information Technology
- Federal Rehabilitation Act Amendments of 1998, Section 508
- Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
- Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
State of California
In California, Section 508 was codified in Government Code 11135 by the State Legislature in 2002 through Senate Bill 105. Government Code 11135 requires the CSU to comply with the accessibility requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended, and to apply the U.S. Access Board accessibility standards to the electronic and information technology products and services that it buys, creates, uses and maintains.
Assembly Bill 422 requires publishers of textbooks to make book content available to disabled students in an e-text format. This law applies to print media. However, since the e-text resulting from the process is an information technology resource, it is covered by this policy.
The California State University
- CSU Coded Memo AA-2007-04, Access to Electronic and Information Technology for Persons with Disabilities (PDF), February 2007
- Executive Order 926 (EO 926), CSU Board of Trustees Policy on Disability Support and Accommodations, December 2004