Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Bickerstaff Academic Center for Student-Athlete Services
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

New Student-Athlete Checklist for Freshmen and Transfer Students

Here are a few steps to follow in order to have a successful transition to CSULB:

1.  University Application:

  • Contact the Head Coach and/or Recruiting Coordinator for your sport.
  • Submit your university application on-line at Cal State Apply.
  • Include your $55 Application Fee or Fee Waiver. Contact the Head Coach and/or Recruiting Coordinator if you have questions about your Admission Status.
  • CSULB uses email as the official means of communication. Applicants are required to maintain a current email address on file with the university and to check their email regularly. You may update your email address or check the status of your admissions application at any time by visiting applicant self-service.

2.  SAT/ACT Scores:

  • Score reports must be sent from the testing agency to both the NCAA Eligibility Center (use code 9999) and CSULB. (This can be done at the time of the testing or through  (SAT) or (ACT). 

3.  NCAA Eligibility Center:

Every student athlete who will attend a NCAA Division I or II institution must be certified academically and as an amateur by the Eligibility Center before they may participate in competition.  This includes students enrolling in college for the first time as well as students transferring from any two or four year institution that is not a member of NCAA Division I or II.  Create a new account at NCAA Eligibility Center Link


If you are a freshman or will not have an AA degree, your official high school transcripts with graduation date posted and you SAT/ACT test scores are also needed.  SAT/ACT scores must be transmitted electronically from the testing agency.


4.  Placement Tests:


High School: The Early Assessment Program (EAP) (for California residents only)                                                  

  • The EAP consists of two tests, EAP English Test and EAP Math Test, which are administered in the eleventh grade in all California High Schools.
  • Passing scores in EAP will allow students immediate enrollment into college level English and Math courses without taking CSULB Placement Tests! At CSULB:
  • Take the English Placement Test (EPT) and/or the Entry Level Mathematics Test (ELM) before the CSU System-Wide administration date or provide proof of exemption.
  • We advise you to take this exam early so that you receive your score prior to attending SOAR.
  • Exemption from the EPT is granted if you score: 500 or higher on SAT Verbal, 22 or higher on ACT English Test, or a 3 or higher on Advanced Placement Exam (Language and Composition or Literature and Composition).
  • Exemption from the ELM is granted if you score: 550 or higher on the SAT Mathematics (Level I, IC, II or IIC), 23 or higher on the ACT Mathematics Test, or a 3 or higher on Advanced Placement Exam (Mathematics Calculus AB or BC or Statistics).
  • English Placement Test/Entry Level Mathematics Exemption Form:

5. Early Start: Sign up for CSU Early Start Program, if necessary: Your ELM and EPT scores will determine whether you are required to participate in the Early Start Program.

  • Exemption from Early Start English is granted if you score 138 or higher on the EPT.
  • Exemption from Early Start Math is granted if you score 50 or higher on the ELM.

Upon admission, CSU campuses will inform students who are not exempt, how and where to sign up for Early Start.

Early Start Math and English courses will be available at every CSU campus, in-person and online.


6.  Official Transcripts:

  • Send official high school transcripts to both the NCAA Eligibility Center (NCAA Eligibility Center Link) and CSULB.  Transfer students do not need to resend transcripts to the NCAA Eligibility Center if they have previously done so.

7. Submit Intent: Activate your MyCSULB account and submit your intent to enroll.


8.  Advisement and Registration (SOAR):

  • Once you have been admitted to the university, you must register for Student Orientation, Advising and Registration (SOAR) before you can register for classes.

Contact your Bickerstaff Academic Center (BAC) Counselor (BAC) at 562/985-4777 to coordinate your SOAR date.  The BAC is the Academic support area for Student athletes.   



Complete Financial Aid Applications (non-athletic aid)

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Complete an Application for Housing

Complete the online application.