The University Honors Program at California State University, Long Beach, aims to recruit students who are not only academically high-achieving but also those who are planning to be meaningfully engaged in the CSULB campus and its surrounding communities. Honors students are leaders, stewards of their environment, global citizens, creative thinkers, and risk-takers in their education.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher (4.0 or higher recommended for President’s Scholarship consideration)
- Strong ACT and/or SAT scores
- Recommended scores for the Engineering Honors Track - SAT-M ≥ 650 and SAT-CR ≥ 600, or ACT Math ≥ 31 and ACT Reading ≥ 27
- Ability to complete the unit requirements of the selected Honors Plan
Application Timeframes & Important Deadlines
What You Will Need
- Applying for Fall Program Admittance
- First Round with President’s Scholarships consideration (First year and transfer students)
- February 1 - Application opens
- March 1 - Deadline for completed application and Letters of Recommendation
- Second Round (First year, transfer, and continuing CSULB students)
- March 15 - Application opens
- June 15 - Deadline for completed application and Letters of Recommendation
- Applying for Spring Program Admittance
- First Round (transfer and continuing CSULB students)
- November 15 - Application opens
- December 15 - Deadline for completed application and Letters of Recommendation
- Your CSULB ID Number- This is your 9-digit student number that is provided to you on your admissions letter
- Unofficial Transcripts- Saved in PDF format
- SAT/ACT Scores (if First Time Freshman)
- Recommender Contact Information- The teacher, professor, or education professional who is writing a letter of recommendation for you
- Note: Continuing CSULB applicants must receive a recommendation from a CSULB faculty member
- Personal Statement
This is your opportunity to introduce yourself to the University Honors Program. Take time to thoughtfully reflect upon what you will write. Discuss it with family and friends. A personal statement is personal so there is no one right essay style, but here are some guidelines:
- DO exercise critical thinking by providing a carefully considered statement: avoid clichés, quotations from others (we want to hear from you!), and grandiose claims.
- DO provide specific examples of your points: avoid vague generalities and unsupported assertions.
- DO proofread and edit carefully: avoid distracting your readers with preventable writing mistakes.
- DO use 12-point font and one-inch margins and write a maximum of two pages, double spaced (approx. 500 words).
- DO insert your full name and the date in your document header.
Prompt for Personal Statement:
Please explain how you think being part of the University Honors Program at CSULB will enhance your undergraduate experience. In addition, discuss how your unique background (personal, community, academic, extra-curricular, or other experiences) has inspired your choice of major. Consider describing your dreams, triumphs and challenges, leadership experiences and/or goals.
Questions about your application?
Please see our FAQs or contact UHP: