Weekly Wednesday Message
March 13, 2013
Faculty Development Updates and Events
- The Faculty Center for Professional Development Web page has been updated with teaching and learning “Nuggets” – a wiki for quick access to information about Making Classroom Materials Accessible, Flipping the Classroom, Documenting and Improving Your Teaching and other topics. Find our Nuggets link on the right side of our homepage in the yellow box.
- The Summer Institute on Teaching and Learning will be held on May 21 from 10 am to 4:30 pm in the FCPD (Lib. 507). This year’s event will be a “Green Thread” Workshop that assists faculty in including sustainability in teaching and learning. The event will conclude with a Boat Tour of Long Beach Harbor from 6 to 9 pm. Attendees may bring one guest on the Boat Tour! Applications can be found on the FCPD website under workshops and institutes. Email completed to applications to email@example.com no later than midnight March 27.
Display Your Research, Scholarly and Creative Work
at the University Achievement Awards
Each year, the University Achievement Awards and Celebration of Instruction, Research, Creative Activity & Service honors our faculty, staff and students by showcasing the outstanding accomplishments of recent and ongoing research, publications, and creative activities. This year's event will be held at the Pointe in the Walter Pyramid from 3 - 7 pm on Thursday, April 18.
Please help us illustrate and celebrate our commitment to research and creative activities by submitting your poster/s, exhibits, books and/or published works to display at the event.
- Please email the poster title and authors for each proposed poster to Ms. Mae DeBruin (Mae.DeBruin@csulb.edu, 5-4633) by Monday, April 1st.
- Please email the book or article titles with the list of authors to Ms. Becky Eisemann (Becky.Eisemann@csulb.edu) by Monday, April 1st.
Additional information is available online.
Reception for Alumni Association Grant Recipients is March 27
The campus community is invited to congratulate the CSULB Alumni Association’s 2013 grant recipients at a reception on Wednesday, March 27 at 4 pm at The Pointe.
The Association is proud to award a total of $50,162 to nine programs as part of the Alumni Grants Program. Nearly $727,500 has been distributed through this program in its 22-year history. The SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union is also a sponsor of this program.
To attend the reception, please contact Leticia Lozoya at 5-2539 or Leticia.Lozoya@csulb.edu so proper accommodations can be planned.
The recipients are:
- Biological Sciences: Spectrophotometers and pH meters for non-majors biology lab. Brian T. Livingston
- Chemistry & Biochemistry: Refractometer and diagnostic equipment. Kris Slowinski
- Computer Engineering and Computer Science: Computational physiology teaching system. Shadnaz Asgari
- Design Department: Laser cutter. Martin Herman
- Electrical Engineering: Three humanoid robot kits for artificial intelligence research. Walter Martinez
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering: Heat treating furnace for MAE materials laboratory. Parvin Shariat
- School of Nursing: Computerized Manikin torso. Loucine M. Huckabay
- Physical Therapy: Binocular video goggles system. Olfat Mohamed
- Single Subject Credential Program: Specialized DVDs, UBDtexts/unit templates. Deborah Mitchell
Congratulations to all of the award recipients.
Staff Day is on April 3; Order Lunch, T-shirts
Join colleagues from across campus at Staff Day, Wednesday, April 3 from 11:30 am – 1 pm at the Nugget. Play Bingo, participate in raffle drawings, shop vendors’ booths and enjoy music provided by KJazz. A lunch special from El Pollo Loco and Staff Day T-shirts are available to pre-order.
- El Pollo Loco is offering a Veggie Bowl, Veggie Tostada, or two-piece combos with chicken, small sides of beans and rice, and a loco salad. All meals come with a bottle of water. Meal tickets cost between $5.50 and $6.50. Lunch tickets must be pre-ordered by Wednesday, March 27.
- 2013 CSULB 49er Staff Day T-shirts must be ordered by this Friday, March 15. All checks and order forms go to Charleen Rice, at mail stop 5701 (Sign Shop – FM). Contact her at 985-2501 or Charleen.Rice@csulb.edu.
You can submit your request online for lunch tickets, a T-shirt and a vendor table, if you’d like to sell or share your hobbies with other staff. You can also contact your Staff Council member, who will take your orders.
Since the CSU Accessible Technology Initiative, in compliance with Federal Law AB 508, requires that course documents such as syllabi and instructional materials be in accessible formats, faculty can get support for preparing and converting their formats. Resources include:
For more Tech Tips, visit the IT Knowledge Base website.
Did You Know?
CSULB has been named to the 2013 President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, which recognizes institutions of higher learning and the efforts of their students, faculty and staff to bettering their local communities through service. Special thanks go to the Center for Community Engagement for submitting the Honor Roll application and for their leadership on campus in the area of community service.
View this message online.
Please send submissions for the
Wednesday Message by 5 pm Monday.