Weekly Wednesday Message
February 8, 2012
Upcoming Open Forums for CLA Dean Search
The next four open forums in the College of Liberal Arts Dean search will take place on the following dates. For a complete list of candidates, CVs, and opportunities to provide feedback, visit the CLA Dean Search website.
Dr. Bryant Alexander
- Professor of Communication Studies
CSU Los Angeles
Faculty Center for Professional Development
Dr. Brett Walker
- Chair, Department of History, Philosophy and Religious Studies and
Regents Professor of History,
Montana State University, Bozeman
- Currently on sabbatical leave at the University of Minnesota as a Research Specialist & Visiting Professor in the Colleges of Science and Engineering and Liberal Arts
10 -11:30 am
Dr. Sachiko Matsunaga
- Chair, Department of Modern Languages and Literatures & Professor of Japanese,
CSU Los Angeles
3:30 - 5 pm
Dr. David Wallace
- Chair, Department of Writing and Rhetoric & Professor of Rhetoric and Composition, University of Central Florida
9 -10:30 am
Faculty Development Opportunity Focuses on Sustainability
ALL CSULB faculty members who would like to modify an existing course or create a new course that engages issues of sustainability are invited to apply for an exciting two-day retreat led by Lisa Swallow, a nationally recognized sustainability scholar and the author of Green Business Practices for Dummies.
The retreat is based on a national model of curriculum development and will provide a community for intellectual dialogue around local sustainability issues and global environmental awareness. The retreat will be held May 21 and 22 from 10 am - 4 pm at the Faculty Center for Professional Development (AS 116). Lunch will be served each day. A reception will be held on May 21.
The application deadline is March 9, 2012. To be accepted, faculty must have a course to revise or create. Space is limited to 20 faculty participants. The one-page application is available online; submit the completed application to email@example.com no later than March 9.
The workshop is co-sponsored by the Faculty Center for Professional Development and the Division of Administration and Finance. For more information, contact Terre.Allen@csulb.edu.
Nominations Accepted for Awards Honoring Contributions to Women
The President’s Commission on the Status of Women (PCSW) invites nominations from the campus community for the following awards:
- Advancement of Women Awards. These awards honor individuals for their outstanding work on behalf of women. The categories for this award are students, lecturers, tenured/tenure-track faculty members, staff members and administrators.
- Honoring Community Organizations and their Campus Partners Award. This award recognizes the impact that collaborations between CSULB and community-based organizations have on the lives of women.
The deadline to submit nominations is Monday, February 27. More information and the nomination form for each award can be found on the PCSW website.
Inquiries can be made to Betsy Decyk via phone (562-985-2577) or email (Betsy.Decyk@csulb.edu). Awards will be presented at the Women’s Research Colloquium Tuesday April 10, 2012.
Save the Date – University Achievement Awards
The University Achievement Awards and Celebration of Instruction, Research, Creative Activity and Service will be held on Thursday, April 19 at the Pointe in the Pyramid.
Displays featuring student and faculty research and creative work will be available to view beginning at 3 pm. The awards presentation will begin at 4 pm. Enjoy hors d’oeuvres and browse displays featuring faculty and student research and creative work immediately following the awards ceremony. Additional information will be available in the coming weeks.
Did You Know?
CSULB has once again been named one of the nation’s “Best Value” public colleges and universities by The Princeton Review, which teamed up with USA Today to announce its list of the 150 “Best Value Colleges for 2012.”
View this message online.
Please send submissions for the Wednesday Message by 5 pm Monday.