Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Planning & Resources
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

Travel Guidelines

Support for travel to disseminate scholarship, enhance professional development, and expand the global reach of curricular offerings and student learning is important to the mission of CSULB.

We are fortunate that the budget situation seems to have stabilized; however, previous budget reductions have not been fully restored and CSULB must continue to manage travel resources carefully.

Guidelines for travel authorization below apply to all student, faculty, and staff university-affiliated travel. Guidelines apply regardless of funding source (state, external funding, auxiliary, and non-state, foundation, etc., even personal if university-affiliated).


Travel Guidelines Applicable to All Divisions


The VP or the appropriate administrator is the final authority for all non-risk (as defined below) travel. The President has designated the Provost the responsibility to review and approve all risk travel.

What is Considered as Risk Travel?

Risk travel includes travel to a destination:

  • With a current U.S. State Department travel warning (See Travel.State.Gov; there is a difference between a warning and an alert, with a warning being of more concern),
  • On the CSURMA’s Hazard Country list, or
  • On CSURMA’s War Risk Countries list; travel to war risk locales will not be approved.

Student travel to destinations with high hazard/war risk countries designation or a current U.S. State Department travel warning or alert will not normally be approved.

Steps for Risk Travel Proposals

Any proposal for risk travel, with or without students, must follow these steps:

  • Employee completes the travel request and international travel information forms.
  • Employee submits travel request to appropriate division administrator for review.
  • Prior to division’s approval, each division consults with the Associate Dean for International Studies in the Center for International Education (CIE) on safety precautions and, if necessary, seeks input from Risk Management. Provide 7-10 working days for processing time.
  • CIE forwards its recommendations to the appropriate division administrator.
  • If approved, the Division office forwards the request to the Provost for final review and approval.
  • If approved, the Provost’s office forwards the travel request to Risk Management for securing FLIP insurance (

Additional Considerations for International Travel

Employees are strongly encouraged to register with the U.S. State Department Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP is a system utilized by the State Department  to provide information on changing conditions in foreign locations and assist with emergencies.

Risk Travel Request Due Dates

All travel on university business must be authorized in advance. No travel expenditures are authorized until the travel request has been approved.

Risk travel requests must be received by Academic Affairs prior to departure as follows:


Travel Guidelines Applicable to Academic



Professional Conferences and Meetings

Faculty and staff may be supported for travel to professional conferences or meetings if they are providing a significant presentation, playing a leadership role in the event or attending at the request of a senior manager or dean for purposes of specific skill enhancement.

International travel to professional conferences or meetings must involve an exceptionally high-profile presentation or award at an important international meeting or its equivalent. A description of the presentation or leadership role and the significance of the professional meeting must be provided, unless the dean or vice president determines this unnecessary. Individuals traveling without requesting reimbursement may not have to meet presentation guidelines, if approved by the dean and/or vice president.

Absence from Class

Deans are responsible for ensuring that student needs will be appropriately met during an instructor’s absence. Traveling faculty are expected to consult with their department chair and complete the “Absence from Class” form to identify how their class(es) will proceed in their absence. The form must be signed by the department chair and attached to the travel request when it is forwarded to the Dean. After review, the Dean should retain the “Absence from Class” form at the College Office and then forward the signed travel authorization to the appropriate official/unit.

Student Travel

Students traveling must be participating in an approved university related educational experience. Student travel includes student educational exchanges at partner institutions.

Faculty/Staff leading student travel are expected to consider and plan carefully for students’ safety and welfare, and are expected to consult with their department chair on their plans.

Each dean is responsible for ensuring that the safety and welfare of student travelers have been carefully considered and planned before requests are approved. Student travel to destinations with high hazard/war risk countries designation or a current U.S. State Department travel warning or alert will not normally be approved.

Student travel will normally be supported from Instructionally Related Activities, participant fees through CCPE faculty-led study abroad trips and courses, or other non-General Fund sources. Travel may be supported in an amount and manner consistent with the award or project.

Funding Support

University support is limited to no more than $3,000 per traveler, per trip (except for direct expenses from grant/contracts G-funds, centers C-funds, and donations M- and N-funds; see below).

External grants or contracts, centers, donations and CCPE

Travel supported by external grants or contracts (G-funds, centers C-funds, and donations M- and N- funds) must be consistent with requirements of external funding agencies and internal policies.

Faculty travel may include professional conferences, if consistent with requirements of external funding agencies.

Staff travel funded through self-support resources must serve an essential purpose and may be funded in the amount and manner consistent with the purpose of the travel.

CSU maximum rate for in-state and out-of-state lodging

Reimbursement for lodging is limited to a maximum of $275 per night. Exceptions may be approved if:

  • Lodging is in a conference hotel at a conference rate, or
  • Lodging is in a city with higher published limits for US federal employee travel.

Last updated November 5, 2015

Forms Required for

All Faculty Travel


Other Required Documents
Based on Type of Travel

  • Faculty-led Field Trip Forms
    • Field Trip Site Assessment Checklist
    • Travel Participant List Form
    • General Liability and Medical Release forms
  • Faculty-led, Short-Term Study Abroad