California State University
Policy Statement
October 21, 1992


Graduate credit usually may not be earned in advance of the baccalaureate degree. However, based upon faculty recommendation, academic performance (in general a grade-point average of 3.0 (B) in the major), and promise of academic achievement in post-graduate study, seniors may be granted approval to earn a maximum of 12 units of course work in the 400 and 500 levels designated as acceptable for graduate credit and taken at this university towards their prospective graduate programs. Approval is subject to the following conditions: (a) the course work must be in addition to that required for the undergraduate major; and (b) the undergraduate student must have a "Petition to Earn Graduate Credit in the Senior Year" approved by the departmental graduate advisor and the department chair prior to enrollment.

In those areas in which graduate credit is for a credential only, the petition must be submitted to the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies and Research, Graduate School of Education. Petitions submitted after completion of course(s) will not be approved.

Effective: Spring 1993