Oral Communication (POC)
GOAL: To use speech to convey a significant and compelling message, fully supported by credible and well-chosen evidence expressed in effective language
as measured by students being able to:
- Compose messages (defined here as construction and delivery of thoughts and ideas to others) by providing ideas and information suitable to diverse audiences, topics, purposes, and occasions.
- Present messages that enhance their believability by providing credible evidence, and selecting language that is appropriate to the designated audience, topic, purpose, and occasion.
- Monitor and adapt their communication by appropriately soliciting receiver feedback that checks the accuracy and interpretation of their messages.
- Listen in order to comprehend information, critique and evaluate messages, and show empathy (defined here as the understanding of others’ perspectives and ideas) as conveyed in their speech.
- Manage their apprehension of communicating and develop communicator confidence.