This program is not open for admission.
The Master of Arts in Education, Option in Reading/Language Arts (30-33 units) is designed for experienced classroom teachers who want to pursue in-depth study of issues related to reading and language arts education. The program provides educators with the theoretical and professional knowledge necessary to develop innovative, research-based reading and language arts curricula with the leadership skills necessary for successful reading program implementation for all students, including English language learners. Visit the program website for program details (www.ced.csulb.edu/teacher-ed/academic/r-la).
The following are required for admission to the program:
1. Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
2. Minimum 3.00 overall grade point average in last degree (not credential or certificate) earned from an accredited institution of higher education. Applicants whose overall GPA is less than 3.00 but meet the University minimum GPA requirement and who present compelling evidence of academic and professional potential either through recent academic performance and/or experiential background, may be considered for admission at the discretion of the program admission committee.
3. A valid elementary or secondary teaching credential.
4. CLAD/CTEL certification is strongly recommended
5. International applicants have additional university application requirements including meeting the English language proficiency requirement. Please visit The Center for International Education (CIE) website at www.csulb.edu/cie for more information.
Candidates must apply separately to both the university and the program by posted deadlines. Applications should be submitted at the same time.
The application for Graduate Admission to the University is available online through CSUMentor (www.csumentor.edu). One complete set of official transcripts must be submitted with the university application. This set of transcripts will be used to determine grade point average eligibility. Failure to submit transcripts in a timely manner will result in a delayed review of the application.
The Reading/Language Arts program application must be submitted to the College of Education Graduate Studies Office (ED1-7). An application and directions can be downloaded at www.ced.csulb.edu/graduate/application-packets. The program application does not require a set of transcripts.
Successful applicants are admitted to the program with Classified admission status.
Students should advance to candidacy as early as possible. They should meet with the program coordinator to plan their program no later than completing 6 units. For Advancement to Candidacy (Clear Admission status), students must:
1. Fulfill the campus Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR).
2. Resolve all incomplete grades.
3. Maintain a 3.0 grade point average.
4. Submit to the Graduate Studies Office an Advancement to Candidacy form signed by the program advisor.
1. Take all of the following (27 units; please contact the program advisor prior to beginning coursework):
2. Take one of the following chosen in consultation with the program advisor (3-6 units):