Certificate in Biotechnology
Biotechnology refers to a process which ultimately yields a product that can be loosely subdivided into five categories; biological organisms with novel traits, DNAs, RNAs, proteins, and compounds. The certificate may be earned in conjunction with or subsequent to a baccalaureate degree. Courses offered for the certificate may be used to satisfy, as appropriate, major or minor requirements.
This certificate program is eligible for Financial Aid. Please see the department web site for required Federal disclosure information.
Prerequisites for Admission
Completion of the following courses with a grade of "C" or better (or consent of the biotechnology certificate program director): CHEM 111A,B; CHEM 220A,B and CHEM 223A,B; CHEM 441A,B; BIOL 311, BIOL 340; BIOL 370.
These courses do not meet any specific or elective requirements for this certificate: BIOL 100, BIOL 101, BIOL 153, BIOL 153L, BIOL 200, BIOL 200L, BIOL 201, BIOL 205, BIOL 205L, BIOL 207, BIOL 208.
1. A baccalaureate degree (can be concurrent);
2. Completion of prerequisites;
3. Approval by the program director;
4. Completion of the core curriculum:
- BIOL 477/577 Biotechnology: Applications of Molecular Techniques and Bioinformatics (4)
Prerequisites: BIOL 340 or 370 or CHEM 441A,B; all with a grade of "C" or better. (Undergraduates enroll in BIOL 477; graduates enroll in BIOL 577.)
- BIOL 480/580 Seminars (1)
Prerequisites: Consent of Department of Biological Sciences. (Undergraduates and classified post-baccalaureates enroll in BIOL 480; graduates enroll in BIOL 580). Undergraduates must have filed for graduation and be in their last semester. Graduates must have been admitted to the department as a graduate student. Classified post-baccalaureates must have been admitted to a second baccalaureate or a certificate.
One of the following courses:
- BIOL 440L. Molecular Cell Biology Laboratory (3)
Prerequisites: BIOL 340, BIOL 370, both with a grade of "C" or better.
- BIOL 372 Methods in Microbial Genetics (2)
Prerequisite: BIOL 311 with a grade of "C" or better. Recommended: BIOL 371.
- CHEM 443. Biological Chemistry Laboratory (4)
Prerequisites: CHEM 251, CHEM 441A; and either CHEM 361 or CHEM 466, all with a grade of "C" or better.
One of the following courses:
- BIOL 492A./592A. Stem Cell Research Internship (12)
Prerequisites: BIOL 432/532, BIOL 432L/532L, BIOL 440L, BIOL 462/562, BIOL 473/573, BIOL 477/577, all with a grade of "C" or better, and permission of the director of the CSULB Biotechnology Certificate Program, and acceptance in the Stem Cell Training Option within the Biotechnology Certificate. (Undergraduates enroll in BIOL 492A; graduates enroll in BIOL 592A.)
- NSCI 492 Internships In Natural Science (3)
Prerequisites: Major in the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, completion of 9 units of upper division science coursework, a 2.5 GPA overall or 2.75 GPA in the student's major, and consent of instructor prior to registration.
Take an additional 6 units selected from the following list:
- BIOL 415/515, BIOL 416/516, BIOL 430, BIOL 431/531, BIOL 432/532, BIOL 447/547, BIOL 448/548, BIOL 462/562, BIOL 464/564, BIOL 472/572, BIOL 473/573, BIOL 474/574, or CHEM 480/580.
5. Completion of 2 units consisting of an approved research project in biotechnology to be taken from one or more of the following:
- BIOL 496; CHEM 496; BIOL 697; or CHEM 697
6. BIOL 300, BIOL 301, and BIOL 304 do not meet any specific or elective requirements for this certificate.
7. Total 18 units required.