1. A Bachelor of Arts degree in Spanish with minimum "B" (3.0) GPA overall; or
2. A Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 18 upper division units in Spanish equivalent to the Basic Core of the B.A. in Spanish at this University. Minimum "B" (3.0) GPA overall. Deficiencies will be determined by the Master's Degree Committee after consultation with the student and study of transcript records.
1. Approval of a graduate program by the graduate advisor, the department chair, and the college associate dean of graduate studies.
2. Requirements: All deficiencies have been removed; the student has fulfilled the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR); the student has maintained at least a "B" (3.0) GPA in all work in Spanish.
3. The candidate may file for advancement to Candidacy after filing an individualized Course Planner, completing prerequisites, and completing at least 6 units (preferably no more than nine units) on the M.A. program. The candidate must file not later than one semester or summer session prior to completion of course requirements.
1. Completion of a minimum of 30 units in SPAN in the 500 and 600 series distributed as follows: SPAN 650 Research Methods and Critical Theory (3) (required) + 2 courses in Linguistics + 2 courses in Latin American Literature/Culture + 2 courses in Peninsular Literature/Culture + 3 electives.
2. Two years of one of the following languages: Italian, Portuguese, French, or German, or pass an examination at intermediate level in one of those languages. Major or minor in a second foreign language may be used to fulfill this requirement, upon approval by the graduate advisor.
3. Maintain a GPA of at least "B" (3.0) in Spanish exclusive of courses taken in other programs.
4. Pass comprehensive examinations based on Graduate Reading List after course work completed. (Note: In order to satisfy the culminating activity requirement (thesis, project, or comprehensive examination dependent upon the program), students must earn at least three (3) units and no more than six (6) units related to the completion of the culminating activity.)
5. Maximum of six units of transfer graduate credit are allowed, subject to approval by the graduate advisor.