This program is designed both for students who wish to pursue further graduate study and those seeking a terminal degree. The program seeks to blend theoretical and applied aspects of linguistics and draws from a variety of disciplines.
The M.A. offers three options and one concentration:
Graduate assistantships may be available to qualified students.
1. A bachelor's degree with a 3.0 GPA for the most recent 60 units;
2. 18 units of undergraduate coursework (with a grade of "C" or above in each course) as follows:
A. Fifteen (15) units in Linguistics; the following courses or equivalent:
B. Three (3) units in Language Variation:
1. Satisfaction of the general university requirements for advancement to candidacy, including prerequisites, the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) and 3.0 GPA.
2. Completion of the language other than English requirement, either:
3. Completion of six units of course work within the program, exclusive of any classes used to meet prerequisites.
4. Approval of the candidate's graduate program by the Graduate Advisor, the Associate Dean for Instructional Programs of the College of Liberal Arts, and any other individuals identified by relevant university policy.
5. Advancement must take place no later than the semester before the student graduates.
1. A minimum of 33 units of approved upper division and graduate courses for the thesis path or a minimum of 34 units of approved upper division and graduate courses of the comprehensive examination path, including
2. A minimum of 21 units at the 500 or 600 level;
3. The completion of requirements of one of the options or the Special Concentration designated in the program;
4. Completion of one of two culminating experiences (Note: In order to satisfy the culminating activity requirement (thesis, project, or comprehensive examination dependent upon the program), students must earn at least three (3) units and no more than six (6) units related to the completion of the culminating activity.):
5. A GPA of 3.00 on all courses included in the program.