1. A bachelor of arts degree in Italian, Italian Studies or:
2. A minor degree in Italian Studies with a minimum of 18 upper-division units in Italian Studies plus 6 units in related humanities and social science fields. These courses must be comparable to those required of a major in Italian Studies at this University. Deficiencies will be determined by the advisor after consultation with the student and study of transcript records.
1. Approval of the graduate program by the graduate advisor, the faculty advisor and/or departmental committee, and the College of Liberal Arts Associate Dean of Graduate Studies.
2. The candidate should file for advancement upon completion of 6 units and preferably no more than 9 units on the program. A 3.0 GPA is required.
3. Fulfillment of the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR).
1. Completion of a minimum of 30 units of approved graduate courses, with a minimum of 15 units in courses that are exclusively for graduate students in the 500 and 600 series in Italian Studies and related fields;
2. Specifically required courses include:
3. Two years of one of the following languages: French, German, Portuguese, Russian or Spanish, or pass an examination at intermediate level in one of those languages. Major or minor in a second foreign language may be used to fulfill this requirement in consultation with the Graduate Advisor. For other languages, consult the Graduate Advisor;
4. Maintain a GPA of at least "B" (3.0) in the program;
5. Pass comprehensive examinations on the Graduate Reading List in three areas to be selected by student upon consultation with Graduate Advisor, or complete a Masters Thesis;
6. No more than six units of transfer graduate credits are allowed, subject to approval by the Graduate Advisor. No more than six units of International Programs course work may be credited toward the 30-unit Italian requirement for the MA at this university;
7. Teaching Associates must take RGR 601, Teaching Methodology. These units do not count toward the required 30 units for completion of the MA.