Students with a major in history may be admitted to the History Department honors program provided they have:
1. Completed at least 30 semester units of college- or university-level courses, including at least two history courses;
2. A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3, and a 3.5 in history courses;
3. Submitted to the department honors committee chairperson two letters of recommendation from faculty members;
4. Received admission approval from the departmental honors committee.
In order to graduate with Honors in history a student must:
1. Complete all regular requirements for the history major;
2. Complete HIST 498H Honors Research (3)
3. Complete 6 units of additional course work chosen in consultation with the Department Honors Advisor; such courses normally will require two analytical papers or a research paper on a honors level of performance; three of those units must be in courses designated applied history or methods (e.g., HIST 305 or HIST 402).
4. Have at the time of graduation a cumulative GPA of at least 3.3 and a GPA of at least 3.5 in history.