Certificate in Urban Studies
The Urban Studies Certificate, housed in the Department of Geography, takes an interdisciplinary approach. Students take a core of courses in Geography and take courses from one of two concentrations (Urban Theory and Practice or Applied Urban Geography). For further information, go to www.csulb.edu/geography.
This certificate program is eligible for Financial Aid. Please see the department web site for required Federal disclosure information.
1. A bachelor's degree, which may be earned concurrently.
2. Consultation with the undergraduate advisor in the Geography Department.
3. A minimum of 23 units distributed as follows:
Core requirements (6 units):
Take the following courses:
- GEOG 301 The Urban Scene (3)
Prerequisites: GE Foundation requirement, one or more Exploration courses, and upper division standing.
- GEOG 464 Urban Geography: Sustainable Cities (3)
Prerequisite: GEOG 100, GEOG 120, or GEOG 160 or GEOG 301 or consent of instructor; GEOG 360 recommended.
Corequisite: GEOG 301
Concentration Requirement (minimum 17 units)
Choose One Option:
- Concentration A - Urban Planning:
- Take one from each category:
- Planning Course: GEOG 446
- GIS Course: GEOG 485/585* or GEOG 471/HCA 471
- Policy Course: GEOG 467/567 or CAFF 322 or CAFF 422
- Applications course: GEOG 487/587B or GEOG 488/588 or GEOG 492
- Electives: as needed to reach 23 units total. Any course listed above or any of the following:
- CHLS 320, CHLS 421, HIST 474, ANTH 416/516, POSC 327, WGSS 432, DESN 367, GEOG 468
- Concentration B - Urban Theory and Praxis:
- Two courses from the following:
- Place, Space, and Power: POSC 327, WGSS 432, CHLS 421, GEOG 452, GEOG 462, GEOG 465
- One from each of the following:
- Policy: GEOG 467, CAFF 322, CAFF 422
- Community Development: CHLS 320, ASAM 345, GEOG 492
- Planning or Design: GEOG 446
- Electives: Additional courses as needed from either concentration
*GEOG 485/585 prerequisite: GEOG 280 or GEOG 471 or HCA 471. GEOG 280 does not count toward the Certificate.