Bachelor of Arts in American Studies (120 units)
A minimum of 36 units distributed as follows:
Core courses (21 units):
Take the following courses:
- AMST 300 Introduction to American Studies (3)
- AMST 350 California Culture (3)
Prerequisites: GE Foundation requirement requirement; upper-division standing Interdisciplinary examination of the culture of California.
- AMST 498 Senior Seminar in American Studies (3)
Prerequisites: Completion of AMST 300 and 18 units of upper-division work in American Studies or affiliated fields.
Take 6 additional units in AMST-designated courses, which include AMST 310, AMST 351, AMST 360, AMST 421 and AMST 495.
Take 3 units from the following courses:
- HIST 477A American Cultural History (3)
- HIST 477B American Cultural History (3)
Take 3 units from upper division ENGL-designated American Literature courses:
Elective pattern (15 units):
Students choose a five-course elective pattern in consultation with the program advisor in one of the following areas of concentration. No more than two courses in this elective pattern can come from any one academic department.
- 1. American Institutions, Ideas, and Experiences
- 2. Diversity and Difference
- 3. Popular Culture, Media, and Consumerism
- 4. Public Culture and Civic Engagement
- 5. America and the World
- 6. Student Designed Area of Concentration