Master of Public Administration - Option in Public Works Administration
The general standards for admission are identical to those for the Master of Public Administration degree program. An applicant must demonstrate a background of related undergraduate course work of twelve units, or significant management and/or staff experience in public administration. For this degree option, the experiential background would be targeted to the public works and infrastructure sector.
1. A minimum of 39 course units in graduate course work, with a minimum of 28 units of 500/600 level courses in public policy and administration;
2. Satisfactory completion of the following:
- PPA 500 Foundations of Public Policy and Administration (3)
- PPA 554 Public Works Facilities and Urban Policy (3)
- PPA 555 Government Budgeting and Finance (3)
Prerequisites: PPA 518 or ECON 101 or ECON 300 or equivalent with a grade of "C" or better.
- PPA 577 Public Sector Human Resources Management (3)
- PPA 660 Seminar in Organization Theory and
- PPA 670 Policy Issue Analysis (3)
- PPA 696 Research Methods in Public
Prerequisite: PPA 517 or STAT 108 or equivalent with a grade of "C" or better.
3. Completion of an approved internship program (PPA 585) as required course work beyond the 39-unit minimum, or waiver of the internship requirement based on professional experience;
4. Completion of 12 units of elective course work selected from the following:
- PPA 515, PPA 535, PPA 540, PPA 560, PPA 575, PPA 590; CE 520
5. Successful completion of an approved Student Learning Portfolio and 3-6 units of one of the following courses:
- PPA 697 Directed Research (3)
Prerequisites: Advancement to candidacy, completion of required MPA courses, consent of instructor.
- CE 697 Directed Studies (1-3)
Prerequisites: Graduate standing. Corequisites: CE 696 or written consent of directed studies advisor.
Graduate Center for Public Policy and Administration