Minor in Food Science
Preparation for employment in the Food Science Industry may be developed through completion of this program of study. Eighteen units including:
Take all the following:
*"C" or better
- FSCI 101 Franken Food: Fact or Science Fiction (3)
- FSCI 232 Food Science (3)
Prerequisites: HFHM 176
- FSCI 432 Food Analysis (3)
Prerequisites: CHEM 227, FSCI 232 or equivalent.
- FSCI 435 Food Processing, Preservation and Packaging (3)
Prerequisites: FSCI 232 or consent of instructor.
- FCS 490 Special Topics in Family and Consumer Sciences (1-3)
- FSCI 469 Food Product Development (3)
Prerequisites: A grade of “C” or better in FSCI 232 and in FSCI 435 or FCS 490.
Prerequisite/Corequisite: FSCI 432
Take 3 units from the following:
- FSCI 338 Introduction to Food Processing (3)
Prerequisite: A grade of “C” or better in BIO 201 and FSCI 232. Open to FSCI declared Majors, FSCI minors and declared NUTR majors only
- FSCI 492F Internship in Food Science (3)
Prerequisites: Student must be a Family and Consumer Sciences: Food Science major; have senior standing; have a 2.5 overall GPA or a 3.0 major GPA; approval of a faculty advisor in Food Science; and FSCI 232. Each prerequisite course must be completed with a grade of "C" or better.
- NUTR 336 Social and Cultural Aspects of Food and Health (3)
Prerequisites: For Dietetics Concentration NUTR 132, NUTR 234, SOC 335; for Nutritional Sciences Concentration NUTR 132, SOC 335.
Adhere to prerequisites below, some fulfill GE requirements:
- 1. MATH 109 or higher, and a passing score on the Chemistry Placement Examination are prerequisites for CHEM 111A;
- 2. CHEM 111A (GE Area: B1b) is a prerequisite for CHEM 227;
- 3. BIOL 201 is a prerequisite for FSCI 338.
The Minor in Food Science is available to any non-Food Science major.