Minor in Food Science
Preparation for employment in the Food Science Industry may be developed through completion of this program of study. Eighteen units including:
Take all the following:
- FSCI 332 Food Science (3)
Prerequisites: CHEM 227, HFHM 176, MICR 200.
- FSCI 338 Introduction to Food Processing (3)
Prerequisite: FSCI 332.
- FSCI 432 Food Analysis (3)
Prerequisites: CHEM 227, FSCI 332 or equivalent.
- FSCI 435 Food Processing, Preservation and Packaging (3)
Prerequisites: FSCI 332 or consent of instructor.
- FSCI 492F Internship in Food Science (3)
Prerequisites: Senior standing; a 2.5 overall GPA or a 3.0 major GPA; approval of faculty advisor in Food Science; and FSCI 332.
Take 3 units from the following:
- FCS 497 Directed Studies
Prerequisites: Upper division standing, consent of instructor.
Not open for credit to students with credit in FCSE 497.
- MICR 325 Emerging Infectious Diseases
Prerequisites: MICR 211 with a grade of "C" or better and consent of instructor.
- NUTR 336 Social and Cultural Aspects of Food and Health (3)
Prerequisites: For Dietetics Concentration NUTR 132, NUTR 234, SOC 335; for Nutritional Sciences Concentration NUTR 132, SOC 335.
Adhere to prerequisites below, some fulfill GE requirements:
- 1. CHEM 111A is a prerequisite for CHEM 227;
- 2. HFHM 235, CHEM 227, and MICR 200 are prerequisites for FSCI 332;
- 3. FSCI 332 is a prerequisite for FSCI 338, FSCI 432, FSCI 435, and FSCI 492F;
- 4. PSY 100 or SOC 100 or ANTH 120 or equivalent and NUTR 132 are prerequisites for NUTR 336;
- 5. MICR 200 will meet the prerequisite for MICR 325 for Food Science minors.
The Minor in Food Science is available to any non-Food Science major.