Please note, admission to this program is currently suspended to new students.
A Master's in Business Administration (MBA) with a Specialization in Consumer Affairs, Fashion Merchandising and Design, or Hospitality Management is offered through the College of Business Administration. Please contact the advisor in these areas for further information. The advisors include:
This program is designed to prepare students with a background in program evaluation and administration, research methods, and application of advanced subject matter knowledge to enhance the quality of life of individuals, families, and communities. The advanced candidate selects either a thesis track or directed project track to facilitate a selected career path.
There are four specializations in this program:
Interested students should contact the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences Graduate Coordinator at (562) 985-4484. Online information can be found at http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/chhs/departments/fcs/programs/graduate/MADegree.htm.
Prospective applicants must comply with University requirements for admission to graduate studies as outlined in this catalog. Students must concurrently submit application to the University Admissions and Records office and the Department. A cohort of students will be admitted each Fall semester.
Admission to the Master of Arts in Family and Consumer Sciences is dependent upon approval by the Graduate Coordinator. The application requirements for prospective graduate students for the Master of Arts degree are:
1. Meet minimum University requirements for admission as well as the standards established by the program.
2. One letter of recommendation sent to the Graduate Coordinator.
3. Additional materials that provide evidence of academic performance may be requested (at a later date)
after review of applicant’s file.
4. Approval by the Graduate Coordinator.
5. For students specializing in Fashion Merchandising, GRE scores are required.
1. Students are responsible for meeting all prerequisite requirements prior to enrolling in 500/600 level courses.
2. Students from other disciplines may be required to complete prerequisite courses before enrolling in 500/600 level courses.
3. Prerequisites for all courses carrying graduate credit must have been completed within five years of taking the graduate courses. If the prerequisite is outdated, the prerequisite(s) must be repeated or credit obtained by examination.
4. Students deficient in undergraduate preparation must take courses to remove these deficiencies at the discretion of faculty in the specified subject matter area and the Graduate Coordinator. Courses taken to remove deficiencies may not be included in the graduate program of study.
1. Maintain a 3.0 or better grade point average in all graduate work completed at CSULB and all graduate work transferred to meet graduate requirements.
2. Maintain satisfactory progress toward the degree objective.
1. Satisfy the general University requirements for Advancement to Candidacy;
2. Complete all required core courses: EDP 419; FCS 563, FCS 600, FCS 696
3. Approval of the Graduate Coordinator, and Associate Dean of the College of Health and Human Services.
1. Meet University regulations that apply to all graduate programs.
2. Complete minimum of 30 units of approved upper-division and graduate courses.
3. Complete the following required core courses (12 units):
Take all the following courses:
4. Take of the following courses (6 units):
5. Complete an additional 12 units of Advisor approved courses.
6. Complete a defense of the research proposal, and oral defense of Thesis or Directed Project to the research committee, and Poster Presentation at FCS Department Poster Session.