The California State University requires that first‑time freshman applicants complete, with grades of "C" or higher, a comprehensive pattern of college preparatory study totaling 15 units. A "unit" is one year of study in high school.
• 2 years of social science, including 1 year of U.S. history, or U.S. history and government
• 4 years of English
• 3 years of math (algebra, geometry and intermediate algebra)
• 2 years of laboratory science (1 biological & 1 physical, both must have laboratory instruction)
• 2 years in the same foreign language (subject to waiver for applicants demonstrating equivalent competence)
• 1 year of visual and performing arts: art, dance, drama/ theater, or music
• 1 year of electives: selected from English, advanced mathematics, social science, history, laboratory science, foreign language, visual and performing arts or other courses approved and included on the UC/CSU “a-g” list