Requirements for Off-Campus Degree Programs
The U.S. Department of Education and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) have specific regulations and requirements that govern the offering of off-campus degree programs.
In order to offer new or existing degree programs at an off-campus site, approval must be obtained from the Office of the Provost 60 days before any student is admitted to the program.
An off-site degree program is defined as one in which 50% to 100% of the required coursework is delivered at the off-site location. For undergraduate programs, the requirement includes General Education as well as major coursework.
An off-site location is defined as any facility not located on the CSULB campus or owned and operated by CSULB (for example, the Residential Learning Community is not an off-site location).
To obtain approval to offer an academic degree program at an off-campus site, the following protocol is required:
- The College Dean or designee consults with the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs regarding the possible intent to offer an off-campus program to learn what approvals are required by the university and WASC
- A request for approval must be submitted to the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs no later than 60 days prior to admission of students to the proposed off-campus program
- No student may be admitted to the off-site program until written approval has been obtained from the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs
- The Office of the Provost will work with the Director of Financial Aid to determine whether students at a given off-campus site are eligible for financial aid and to ensure proper reporting to the U.S. Department of Education.
- Any College that closes an off-campus site is responsible for the timely reporting of the closure to the Office of the Provost and Enrollment Services, including the exact date of the closure once instruction has concluded at the site
- Each College offering off-site programs must report annually on the status of any off-campus degree programs, including those that will be discontinued