Minors and Certificates
Campuses have the authority to approve the implementation of minors and certificates without system oversight. Proposals for minors and certificates should use our campus-edited version of the CSU Degree Program Proposal Template. The original CSU template has been modified for minors and certificates by excluding information that does not apply to such programs. The template is available here.
Departments or programs will need to obtain department, college, and university approval for the proposal. The department or program shall prepare a comprehensive packet of materials including:
- the program proposal in template format,
- a completed "Coversheet for Program Projection, Implementation and Major Program Change" form (Attachment 2.3), and
- a completed "Proposal for Implementing New Degree, Option, Certificate or Minor" (Attachment 2.5).
The process is outlined as follows:
- 1. One paper and one electronic copy of the proposal that was approved by the department and college is forwarded to the appropriate administrator in the Office of the Provost and one to the Office of Academic Programs and Articulation (AS 124, x. 5-8221).
- 2. The proposal is reviewed by both offices and feedback is provided to the proposer.
- 3. When everything is in order, the appropriate administrator in the Office of the Provost forwards the proposal to the Academic Senate. The document is then passed on to the Curriculum and Educational Policies Council and the University Resource Council for review. Proposers will be invited to discuss their proposals with these councils. Upon recommendation by these councils, the proposed program must be reviewed and recommended by the entire senate. Proposers are again invited to discuss their proposals.
- 4. Upon recommendation by the Academic Senate, the appropriate administrator in the Office of the Provost seeks the president's approval.