Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
2012-2013 CSULB University Catalog

Financial Assistance

Student Aid Programs - Outside Aid Programs

The following programs are administered by other agencies and coordinated by the Office of Financial Aid:

Cal Grant A

Cal Grant A is awarded by the California Student Aid Commission to entering and continuing undergraduate students who are California residents. Cal Grant A awards are based on academic achievement financial need, and the enrollment status (full-time, three-quarter time, or half-time). Grants are used to offset state tuition fees.

Cal Grant B

Cal Grant B is awarded by the California Student Aid Commission to entering undergraduate students who have not completed more than one semester of college. Applicants must be California residents, and must demonstrate substantial financial need. Grants vary depending on educational costs. Fees, in addition to the basic award, are normally provided in the second, third, and fourth years. The grant may be renewable for up to four years.

Federal Pell Grant Program

The Pell Grant Program is a federal aid program designed to provide financial assistance to undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need under the guidelines of the program. Teacher credential students in an eligible program may also qualify. Once a student is determined eligible for the Pell Grant, the amount of the award is based on the cost of education at the school attended and enrollment on a half‑time, three‑quarter‑time, or full‑time basis. Eligibility is limited to U.S. citizens and eligible non‑citizens.

Federal Stafford Loan

The Stafford Loan Program enables eligible students to obtain loans from the federal government. During the time the student is enrolled at least half‑time, the federal government pays the interest on the cumulative amount borrowed if the loan is based on financial need (subsidized). An unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan is not based on financial need. Once funds are disbursed, the student is responsible for interest due on the loan while in school. Federal regulations allow any student to apply for the Federal Stafford Loan provided the student: 1) is enrolled and in good standing or has been accepted for enrollment at an eligible school; 2) is enrolled as at least a half‑time student; 3) is a citizen of the United States or an eligible non‑citizen; 4) is registered with Selective Service (if required); 5) is working toward a degree or certificate; 6) is making satisfactory academic progress; and 7) does not owe a refund on a federal grant and is not in default on a federal education loan.

Federal PLUS Loan

The Federal PLUS loan program provides government-insured loans to graduate/doctoral level students and parents of dependent undergraduate students. The PLUS loan is a non-need based unsubsidized loan meaning interest begins accruing on the amount disbursed from the date of disbursement. Eligibility for the PLUS loan is based upon the credit history of the borrower.

The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant

The TEACH Grant is designed for students who intend to teach full time in a high-need field at a public or private elementary or secondary school that the U.S. Department of Education has designated as having a high concentration of students from low-income families. In exchange for the TEACH grant, recipients agree to teach for at least four years within eight years of finishing their teacher preparation program. Grant recipients who are unable to complete any of the service requirements of the TEACH Grant Program will have their grants converted to a Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan.

Information, brochures, advising, and application forms are available from BH 101, or phone (562) 985‑8403.

Print this page Add this page to your favorites Select a font size Select a small font Select a medium font Select a large font

Financial Assistance