Master of Science in Science Education
Option in Secondary Science Education
This option is aimed at teachers with a Single Subject credential in Science. Graduate students complete 9 units of graduate work in a Science discipline.
Program of Study
The Program of Study includes successful completion of:
1. Take 6 units from the following:
- EDP 519, 520, 595, 596, or other courses chosen in consultation with advisor.
2. Take all the following Science Education core courses:
- SCED 550 Current Issues and Research in Science Education (3)
Prerequisite: Admission to M.S. in Science Education program. SCED 550 is a core course in the M.S. in Science Education.
- SCED 551 Science Teaching, Learning and Curriculum Models (3)
Prerequisites: Admission to M.S. in Science Education program and SCED 550. SCED 551 is a core course in the M.S. in Science Education.
- SCED 552 Nature of Science (3)
Prerequisites: Admission to M.S. in Science Education program and SCED 550.
- SCED 697 Directed Research (1-3)
Prerequisites: Consent of instructor and admission to M.S. in Science Education program.
3. Take 9 units of graduate level science (chosen in consultation with advisor)
4. Take the following course:
- SCED 698 Thesis (1-3)
Prerequisites: Advancement to Candidacy for the M.S. in Science Education, 18 units of coursework required for M.S. Science Education completed, and consent of the chair of the thesis committee.