Master of Science in Psychology
Option in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
This is a 36-unit program.
1. A bachelor's degree with a major in psychology or 24 upper division units of psychology.
2. Take both of the following courses:
- PSY 220 Research Methods (4)
Prerequisites: PSY 100, 210, GE A1 requirement.
- PSY 310 Intermediate Statistics (4)
Prerequisites: PSY 100, 210, GE Foundation requirement and upper division standing.
Take one of the following courses: PSY 314, 315
Take one of the following courses: PSY 332, 333
Take one of the following courses: PSY 351, 381, 453/553
Students may be admitted to the MSIO program if they lack only one required course. The missing course must be completed within the first year of graduate study. However, PSY 314 or 315 AND 351 or 381 or 453/553 must be completed prior to MSIO program entry, as they are prerequisites for the first semester MSIO program coursework. Students missing more than one prerequisite course at the time of application may be offered provisional admission if they submit an approved plan to take the missing courses prior to admission to the program.
Advancement to Candidacy
Advancement to Candidacy is the next step after achieving classified status and confers catalog rights to graduate students and signifies approval of a plan of study by the graduate student's major, department, and college. The prerequisite to advancement are:
- 1. Application for Advancement to Candidacy must be completed prior to or concurrent with enrollment in PSY 698 (Thesis).
- 2. Classified status.
- 3. An approved program of studies for the Master of Science, Industrial and Organizational option degree.
- 4. Fulfillment of the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR).
- 5. A minimum 3.0 overall GPA and a 3.0 GPA in all units undertaken for the program (at least 6 graduate units).
- 6. Be enrolled in regular session.
1. The student must complete a minimum of 36 units of graduate course work.
Take all of the following:
- PSY 515 Test Construction Theory and Practice (3)
Prerequisites: PSY 310 and either PSY 314 or 315.
- PSY 581 Organizational Psychology (3)
Prerequisites: PSY 351 or 453/553.
- PSY 582 Research in Industrial and Organizational Psychology (3)
Prerequisites: PSY 220 and 310.
- PSY 585 Proseminar in Personnel Psychology (3)
Prerequisites: PSY 314 or 315.
- PSY 681 Seminar in Applications of Psychology to Industry (3)
Prerequisites: At least 12 units of graduate-level work within the MSIO program including 511 or 512 and 582.
- PSY 683 Issues Organizational Development (3)
Prerequisites: PSY 581.
- PSY 686 Issues in Training (3)
Prerequisites: PSY 332 or 333, and 585.
- PSY 688 Practicum in Industrial and Organizational Psychology (2)
Prerequisites: At least 12 units of graduate-level coursework within the MSIO program.
- PSY 698 Thesis (1-6)
Prerequisites: Advancement to candidacy, consent of graduate advisor. MSIO students. Prerequisite/Corequisite: PSY 681.
Take two courses chosen from the following: PSY 511, 512, or an approved substitute
Take one course from the following: PSY 518, 527, 553, 575, 634, 637, 651, 656; HRM 445
2. A preliminary oral examination on the thesis proposal and final oral examination in defense of the completed thesis.
3. Students with credit in 411 or 412 as undergraduates may petition the MSIO Program Committee to substitute a maximum of 3 units from related areas toward the 36-unit program.