Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
2012-2013 CSULB University Catalog

Political Science

Department Information

Department Chair: Teresa Wright

Department Office: Social Science Public Affairs (SS/PA) Rm 257

Telephone: (562) 985‑4704

FAX: (562) 985-4979



Faculty: Mary Caputi, Christopher Dennis, Larry George, Cora Sol Goldstein, Liesl Haas, Richard Haesly, William M. Leiter, Larry F. Martinez, Charles Noble, Amy Cabrera Rasmussen, Gerry Riposa, Barry H. Steiner, Kevin Wallsten, Jason E. Whitehead, Amy Widestrom, Teresa Wright

Administrative Coordinator: Amelia Marquez

Students desiring information should contact the department office for referral to one of the faculty advisors:


  • Credential: Ilene Luhr (History)
  • Undergraduate: Amy Rasmussen
  • Graduate: Cora Sol Goldstein
  • Pre-Law: Jason Whitehead

Career Possibilities

Political Scientist • Journalist • Foreign Service Officer • Urban Planner • Para Legal • Labor Relations Specialist • Administrator• Researcher • Lobbyist • Archivist • Probation/Parole Officer • Intelligence Analyst • Teacher • Lawyer • Social Service Worker • Market Research Analyst • Public Survey Worker • Community Organizer • Politician • Legislative Aide • City Manager (Some of these, and other careers, require additional education or experience. For more information, see


The political science major provides systematic knowledge of the nature and scope of political science. In addition, a political science major is preparation for general education, good citizenship and participation in political life.

Pre‑Law Program and Preparation

This program combines opportunities to intern in legal settings with study in liberal arts, government, and public law. Interested students should consult with the Pre-law advisor to plan a course of study and prepare for law school admission.

General Education Requirements in Government

The Education Code requires each college graduate to meet (1) a federal government requirement and (2) a California state and local government requirement. Both of these requirements can be met by POSC 100 (for lower division students) or POSC 391 (for upper division students). If the student has completed the federal government requirement, but not the California state and local government requirement, the student should take POSC 199, 326, or 399. Students who have taken American federal, state or local government at another institution should check with a political science advisor before enrolling.

Print this page Add this page to your favorites Select a font size Select a small font Select a medium font Select a large font

Political Science

Undergraduate Programs

Graduate Programs