Honors in Political Science
Students with a major in Political Science may be admitted to the Political Science Department's honors program (option of the University Honor's Program).
Minimum requirements for eligibility are:
- 1. Junior standing, completion of POSC 300, and at least two additional upper-division courses in Political Science;
- 2. A minimum of two semesters remaining before graduation following the spring semester in which the application is submitted;
- 3. A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3, and 3.5 in Political Science courses
Applications for fall admission are due April 15, and must include:
- 1. A completed application form
- 2. One letter of recommendation from the faculty sponsor that has agreed to oversee the applicant's honors thesis.
- 3. One letter of recommendation from a second faculty member (preferably in Political Science)
- 4. A 5-10 page research or analytical paper written for a previously taken course in Political Science
In order to graduate with Honors in Political Science a student must:
- 1. Complete all regular requirements for the major in Political Science;
- 2. Complete 3 units of POSC 490H: Honors Seminar (offered in the fall semester only);
- 3. Complete 3 units of POSC 491H: Honors Research (offered in the fall semester only);
- 4. Complete 3 units of POSC 492H: Honors Thesis (offered in the spring semester only);
- 5. Have at the time of graduation a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3 and 3.5 in Political Science courses.