Honors in History
Students with a major in history may be admitted to the History Department honors program (option of the University Honor's Program) provided they have:
- 1. Completed at least 30 semester units of college- or university-level courses, including at least two history courses;
- 2. A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3, and a 3.5 in history courses;
- 3. Submitted to the department honors committee chairperson two letters of recommendation from faculty members;
- 4. Received admission approval from the departmental honors committee.
Students who have the minimum GPA requirements established by the University Honors Program (3.0 overall and 3.3 in the major, but who do not meet History departmental GPA requirements above may petition the department honors committee for conditional admission to the Department Honors Program).
In order to graduate with Honors in history a student must:
- 1. Complete all regular requirements for the history major;
- 2. Complete HIST 501 Theories and Methodologies of History (3)
- 3. Complete HIST 498H Honors Research (3)
- 4. Complete HIST 499H Honors Thesis (3)
- 5. Complete 6 units of additional course work chosen in consultation with the Department Honors Advisor; such courses normally will require two analytical papers or a research paper on a honors level of performance;
- 6. Have at the time of graduation a cumulative GPA of at least 3.3 and a GPA of at least 3.5 in history.
Students admitted to the program must maintain a file in the University Honors Program which will include copies of proposals for 498H and 499H.