Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
2012-2013 CSULB University Catalog

Baccalaureate Degree Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Student Success and Graduation

CSULB's core academic purpose is to graduate students with highly valued degrees. Graduation rates for CSULB students have increased dramatically in recent years and the length of time it takes students to complete degrees has decreased. The availability of needed courses and support by academic advisors and learning communities greatly improved graduation rates. These improvements were key to the naming of CSULB as one of "America's Best Colleges and Universities" by U.S. News and World Report and "No. 3 best value public college in the nation" by America's Best Value Colleges.

Frequently Asked Questions

Successful students know the answers to these frequently asked questions. Please read them carefully. Knowing these answers can help you avoid pitfalls during your first semesters on campus. For further information, see this section of the Catalog or contact the University Center for Undergraduate Advising at (562) 985-4837.

1. How can I tell what requirements I still need to meet before I graduate? Use MyCSULB to check your Academic Requirements Report. Icons next to each requirement reflect the status of that requirement. You can bring a printout of the Academic Requirements Report to your major advisor or the University Center for Undergraduate Advising for assistance.

2. Can my General Education (GE) courses be used for both GE and for my major ("double counted")? Under the 2008 GE pattern, up to ten units may double count for the major and GE Students under the 1999 GE pattern follow the previous double count GE/major rules. See an advisor in the University Center for Undergraduate Advising (Horn Center, Room 103, 562-985-4837).

3. How many units will transfer from a California Community College to CSULB? All bachelor's level courses transfer, but only 70 units of transferable course work will apply to your bachelor's degree. Additional transferable course work will receive subject credit only.

4. I transferred from a California Community College. Do I have to take any General Education courses? If you have received GE certification, you are required to complete an additional nine (9) units of upper-division GE courses. If you have not been certified as having met the transfer pattern, you must meet the CSULB GE requirements.

5. What does General Education (GE) Certification mean? There are three GE certification processes. Two may be completed at the California Community College (CCC). They are either (1) the California State University (CSU) Transfer Pattern or (2) the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC). The third certification process may be completed at another CSU. In all cases, GE certification means that you have completed your lower-division GE at a CCC or at another CSU.

6. Does having an AA degree from a California Community College mean I am GE Certified? Usually not. The minimum requirements for most AA degrees do not include the lower-division GE pattern required by CSULB. CSULB also requires an additional 9 units of upper-division GE courses.

7. What is partial General Education (GE) Certification? Partial Certification means that transfer students have completed subject and unit requirements in some GE categories, but not others.

Print this page Add this page to your favorites Select a font size Select a small font Select a medium font Select a large font

Baccalaureate Degree Information

General Education

Majors, Minors and Certificate Programs