Master of Science in Psychology
Option in Industrial and Organizational Psychology (code PSY_MS05)
This is a 36-unit program.
- 1. A bachelor's degree with a major in psychology or 24 upper division units of psychology.
- 2. Take both of the following courses: PSY 220, 310
- Take one of the following courses: PSY 314, 315
- Take one of the following courses: PSY 332, 333
- Take one of the following courses: PSY 351, 381, 453/553
Students may be admitted to the MSIO program if they lack only one required course. The missing course must be completed within the first year of graduate study. However, PSY 314 or 315 AND 351 or 453/553 must be completed prior to MSIO program entry, as they are prerequisites for the first semester MSIO program coursework. Students missing more than one prerequisite course at the time of application may be offered provisional admission if they submit an approved plan to take the missing courses prior to admission to the program.
Advancement to Candidacy
Advancement to Candidacy is the next step after achieving classified status and confers catalog rights to graduate students and signifies approval of a plan of study by the graduate student's major, department, and college. The prerequisite to advancement are:
- 1. Application for Advancement to Candidacy must be completed prior to or concurrent with enrollment in PSY 698 (Thesis).
- 2. Classified status.
- 3. An approved program of studies for the Master of Science, Industrial and Organizational option degree.
- 4. Fulfillment of the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR).
- 5. A minimum 3.0 overall GPA and a 3.0 GPA in all units undertaken for the program (at least 6 graduate units).
- 6. Be enrolled in regular session.
- 1. The student must complete a minimum of 36 units of graduate course work.
- Take all of the following:
- PSY 515 Test Construction Theory and Practice (3)
- PSY 581 Organizational Psychology (3)
- PSY 582 Research in Industrial and Organizational Psychology (3)
- PSY 585 Proseminar in Personnel Psychology (3)
- PSY 681 Seminar in Applications of Psychology to Industry (3)
- PSY 683 Issues Organizational Development (3)
- PSY 686 Issues in Training (3)
- PSY 688 Practicum in Industrial and Organizational Psychology (2)
- PSY 698 Thesis (1-6)
- Take two courses chosen from the following:
- PSY 511, 512, or an approved substitute
- Take one course chosen from the following:
- PSY 518, 527, 553, 575, 634, 637, 651, 656; HRM 445
- 2. A preliminary oral examination on the thesis proposal and final oral examination in defense of the completed thesis.
- 3. Students with credit in 411 or 412 as undergraduates may petition the MSIO Program Committee to substitute a maximum of 3 units from related areas toward the 36-unit program.