Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Print this page Add this page to your favorites Select a font size Select a small font Select a medium font Select a large font

Recreation and Leisure Studies

Undergraduate Programs

Bachelor of Arts in Recreation (code REC_BA01) (120 units)

Student must maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA on all units attempted and achieve a "C" or better in each course of the Recreation major to progress in the sequence of study. Students earning less than a "C" grade in a course required in the major must repeat that course.

Students wishing to substitute courses or deviate in any way from department requirements must submit a letter of request to the Department faculty. No more than six units of Recreation‑prefix courses may be taken by contract. The Internship is "Letter grade only (A-F)." The Internship is taken the last semester before graduation. No other courses may be taken concurrently with the Internship.


Lower Division:

  • Take all of the following courses:
    • REC 141 Introduction to Leisure Services (3)
    • REC 225 Programming Recreation Activities (3)

Upper Division:

  • Take all of the following courses:
    • REC 325 Advanced Program & Event Management (3)
    • REC 341 Eval and Research in Leisure Services (3)
    • REC 351 Foundations of Therapeutic Recreation (3)
    • REC 421 Supervisory & Administrative Practices (3)
    • REC 423 Facility Design and Operations (3)
    • REC 425 Financing Leisure Services (3)
    • REC 427 Legal Aspects of Leisure Services (3)
    • REC 431 Recreation Resource Management (3)
    • REC 480 Philosophy of Recreation and Leisure (3)
    • REC 498 Internship in Leisure Services (6-9)

Additional Courses:

  • Take one the following courses:
    • REC 100 , 300
  • Take one of the following courses:
    • HDEV 307I, 357I, or PSY 370I
  • Take 15 units from the following courses:
    • REC 321, 322, 324, 337, 340I, 371, 428, 430, 433, 451, 452, 454, 457, 458, 462, 465, 468, 469, 473, 490, 499
  • Choose 3 units from collaborative fields with advisor approval, such as CAFF, CDFS, CRJU, EDP, FCS, FCSE, FMD, FSCI, HFHM, KIN, NUTR, SW

Search the 2011-2012 Catalog

Recreation and Leisure Studies

Undergraduate Programs

Certificate Programs

Graduate Programs