Health Care Administration
Master of Science in Health Care Administration (code HCA_MS01)
Graduates of HCA degree programs will achieve and demonstrate the following competencies: health care knowledge, leadership, presentation skills (oral communication), written communication skills, career marketability, teamwork, managing change, conceptual skills, managerial decision making, ethical decision making, information management, interpersonal skills, independence, creativity and critical thinking, analytical skills, planning, advocacy and conflict management.
Each interested individual should apply to the University at www.csumentor.edu; send official transcripts from an accredited institution to Enrollment Services and pay application fee online. Also, the candidate should prepare an application packet with the following documents and send it to the Department:
- 1. Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with a minimum of 9 units of course work that include: accounting, economics and statistics
- 2. An applicant must have an overall undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or better. Those applicants with less than 3.0, but with acceptable evidence of professional potential shown through recent academic performance and experiential background, may be admitted by special action of the Department Admissions Committee
- 3. Fill out and submit an MSHCA Application Form (available on HCA website)
- 4. A current and complete resume including references
- 5. Statement of Purpose describing your career goals in Health Care Administration
- 6. Three letters of recommendation
- 7. Interview with member of faculty or Program Director may be required.
- 1. Take the following course (or equivalent): ACCT 201
- 2. Take one of the following courses (or equivalent):
- 3. Take an introductory statistics course or equivalent.
- 4. Submit score on recent Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)
Students should contact the Program Director for a determination of deficiencies and required remediation.
- 1. Completion of a minimum 45 units graduate level course work.
- 2. Completion of all of the following core courses:
- HCA 502 The Health Care System (3)
- HCA 503 Health Care Economics (3)
- HCA 505 Organization and Systems of Health Care (3)
- HCA 510 Human Resources Management in Health Care (3)
- HCA 515 Adv Financial Management in Health Care (3)
- HCA 517 Adv Healthcare Info Systems Management (3)
- HCA 524 Adv Legal and Ethical Aspects of Health Admin (3)
- HCA 530 Strategic Planning/Marketing in Health Care (3)
- HCA 535 Quantitative Methods for Health Admin (3)
- HCA 550 Continuous Quality Improvement in Health Services (3)
- HCA 698A Project Part I (3)
- HCA 698B Project Part II (3)
- HSC 500 Principles of Epidemiology (3)
- 3. Completion of any two of the following elective courses: HCA 536, 537, 538, 539, 552 or 580.
Advancement to Candidacy
Students will be instructed to apply for advancement to candidacy after:
- 1. Completion of 6 units of core course work that applies to the degree with an average grade of "B" or better,
- 2. Fulfillment of the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR)
- 3. Approval of Program Director