Certificate in Gerontology
Interested students should contact Dr. Maria Claver at
562-985-4495 or firstname.lastname@example.org
This program is designed to educate individuals as gerontology specialists within a major area of study. Graduates work in community programs, health services organizations, government agencies, and the private sector.
The Certificate in Gerontology may be earned in conjunction with a baccalaureate degree or awarded subsequent to earning a bachelor's degree. Up to six units of courses taken in the student's major department may be approved to satisfy certificate requirements as may general education and elective courses also used to complete the bachelor's degree if they contain appropriate gerontology content.
- 1. In consultation with the Gerontology Certificate Coordinator, submit to Enrollment Services the intent form to add the Certificate in Gerontology to the major program of study.
- 2. A bachelor's degree in any major (may be taken concurrently)
- 3. A minimum GPA of 2.5
- 4. 24 units distributed as follows
- A. Take 15 required units including the following:
- GERN 400I Perspectives on Gerontology (3) (meets GE Capstone requirement)
- ANTH 454 Culture and Aging (3)
- BIOL 301 Biology of Human Aging (3)
- GERN 492G Internship in Gerontology (3)
- Take one of the following:
- PSY 365 Psychology of Adult Development & Aging (3)
- HDEV 357I Approaches to Adulthood Through Aging (3) (meets GE Capstone requirement)
- B. Take a minimum of nine units chosen in consultation with the Gerontology Certificate Coordinator from a list of approved elective courses (three to six units of appropriate coursework in the major field may partially fulfill this requirement). Three units may be fulfilled by taking GERN 497 or an approved substitute.
- 5. Application for the Certificate in Gerontology through completion of the appropriate Program Planner in consultation with the Gerontology Certificate Coordinator. This must be done in the semester prior to the completion of the certificate to assure timely issuance.