Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
CSULB Catalog Banner
Print this page Add this page to your favorites Select a font size Select a small font Select a medium font Select a large font
CSULB Catalog Banner
Search the 2010-2011 Catalog

Fees and Financial Assistance

Finance Information

CSULB Sorority on campus

Campus Financial Aid Programs

Federal Perkins Loans

The Federal Perkins Loan is a federal program providing long-term, low interest loans to both graduate and undergraduate students. Repayment of loan principal and interest begins nine months after you cease to be enrolled at last half-time.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

The SEOG is a federally funded grant program for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

The work-study program is a federally funded employment program to expand part-time job opportunities for students with financial need. Students are placed in jobs according to their skills, career and academic goals and must see the Office of Financial Aid for job referral. Positions are available on campus or with organizations off campus.

Educational Opportunity Program Grants

EOP grants are provided by the State of California for undergraduate students who are admitted to a CSU campus through the Educational Opportunity Program and demonstrate the same need criteria as federal financial aid. For further information, contact the EOP Admissions Office at (562) 985-7646 or, or at the EOP Office at LA3-200.

State University Grant

The State University Grant is funded by the State of California to assist students whose ability to attend postsecondary institutions is jeopardized by increases in student fees. Students must be residents of California, demonstrate financial need, and be assessed State University Fees to be eligible for this award.

Graduate Research Fellowships

The Graduate Research Fellowship is funded by the California State University to graduate students who have experienced educational or economic disadvantages or hardships. Applicants must be California residents, demonstrate financial need and be accepted into or continuing in a full-time graduate program. Limited awards are made through a competitive process.

Scholarship Information

Scholarships at CSULB are administered by several offices, including the Office of Financial Aid, the Center for Scholarship Information, and some academic departments. Scholarships may be awarded to qualified students based upon academic achievement, leadership, financial need or a specific area of study and/or ability. Students may access a database of on- and off-campus scholarships and receive guidance on the entire scholarship process, including support on applications, personal statements and essays, at the Center for Scholarship Information. For more information, call (562) 985-2549, go to or visit the Center at the University Student Union, Room 238.

President's Scholars' Program

The CSULB President's Scholars' Program provides California high school seniors who are qualifying valedictorians from accredited high schools or national scholars (National Merit Finalists and Semifinalists, National Achievement and National Hispanic Recognition scholars) an opportunity to compete for an exceptional four-year scholarship package that includes registration fees, housing and book allowances. Applications are available from high school counselors. For further information, call (562) 985-5358, go to or visit the Outreach Office at Brotman Hall, Room 289.

Outside Student Aid Programs

The following programs are administered by other agencies and coordinated by the Office of Financial Aid:

Cal Grant A

Cal Grant A is awarded by the California Student Aid Commission to entering and continuing undergraduate students who are California residents. Cal Grant A awards are based on academic achievement and financial need. Grants are used to offset State University Fees.

Cal Grant B

Cal Grant B is awarded by the California Student Aid Commission to entering undergraduate students who have not completed more than one semester of college. Applicants must be California residents, and must demonstrate substantial financial need. Grants vary depending on educational costs. Fees, in addition to the basic award, are normally provided in the second, third, and fourth years. The grant is renewable for four years.

Federal Pell Grant Program

The Pell Grant Program is a federal aid program designed to provide financial assistance to undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need under the guidelines of the program. Teacher credential students in an eligible program may also qualify. Once a student is determined eligible for the Pell Grant, the amount of the award is based on the cost of education at the school attended and enrollment on a half-time, three-quarter-time, or full-time basis. Eligibility is limited to U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens.

Federal Stafford Loan

The Stafford Loan Program enables eligible students to obtain loans through banks, credit unions, and other lending institutions outside of the University. During the time the student is enrolled at least half-time, the federal government pays the interest on the cumulative amount borrowed if the loan is based on financial need (subsidized). An unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan is not based on financial need. Once funds are disbursed, the student is responsible for interest due on the loan while in school. The Parent PLUS Loan is available to parents of dependent undergraduate students. The parent's credit history is a determinant for participation in this program.

Federal Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG)

The ACG is a federal program awarded to eligible Pell Grant recipients in their first or second year of study. To qualify, first-year (0-29 units) undergraduate students must have completed a rigorous secondary school program after January 1, 2007. Second year (30-59 units) undergraduate students must have completed a rigorous program after January 1, 2006 and have established a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 at the time of attaining 30 units.

National Science and Mathematics to Retain Talent Grant (SMART)

The National SMART Grant is a federal program awarded to eligible Pell Grant recipients during the third and fourth years of undergraduate study. To qualify, student must be majoring in physical, life, or computer sciences; mathematics; technology or engineering; or in a foreign language determined critical to national security. Recipients must maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 in order to receive the grant.

The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant

The TEACH Grant is designed for students who intend to teach full time in a high-need field at a public or private elementary or secondary school that the U.S. Department of Education has designated as having a high concentration of students from low-income families. In exchange for the TEACH grant, recipients agree to teach for at least four years within eight years of finishing their teacher preparation program. Grant recipients who are unable to complete any of the service requirements of the TEACH Grant Program will have their grants converted to a Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan.

Information, brochures, advising, and application forms are available from BH 101, or phone (562) 985-8403.

Federal regulations allow any student to apply for the Federal Stafford Loan provided the student: 1) is enrolled and in good standing or has been accepted for enrollment at an eligible school; 2) is enrolled as at least a half-time student; 3) is a citizen of the United States or an eligible non-citizen. Local lender policy is available from the Office of Financial Aid; 4) is registered with Selective Service (if required); 5) is working toward a degree or certificate; 6) is making satisfactory academic progress; and 7) does not owe a refund on a federal grant and is not in default on a federal education loan.

Fee Waivers

The California Education Code includes provisions for the waiver of mandatory systemwide fees as follows:

Section 66025.3 – Qualifying children, spouses/registered domestic partners, or unmarried surviving spouses/registered domestic partners of a war period veteran of the U.S. military who is totally service-connected disabled or who died as a result of service-related causes; children of any veteran of the U.S. military who has a service-connected disability, was killed in action, or died of a service-connected disability and meets specified income provisions; any dependents or surviving spouse/registered domestic partner who has not remarried of a member of the California National Guard who in the line of duty and in active service of the state was killed or became permanently disabled or died of a disability as a result of an event while in active service of the state; and undergraduate students who are the recipient of or the child of a recipient of a Congressional Medal of Honor and meet certain age and income restrictions;

Section 68075 (a) – An undergraduate student who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States stationed in this state on active duty, except a member of the Armed Forces assigned for educational purposes to a state-supported institution of higher education, is entitled to resident classification only for the purpose of determining the amount of tuition and fees; (b) A student seeking a graduate degree who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States stationed in this state on active duty, except a member of the Armed Forces assigned for educational purposes to a state-supported institution of higher education, shall be entitled to resident classification only for the purpose of determining the amount of tuition and fees for no more than two academic years, and shall thereafter be subject to Article 5 (commencing with Section 68060);

Section 68120 – Children and surviving spouses/registered domestic partners of deceased public law enforcement or fire suppression employees who were California residents and who were killed in the course of active law enforcement or fire suppression duties (referred to as Alan Pattee Scholarships); and

Section 68121 – Qualifying students enrolled in an undergraduate program who are the surviving dependent of any individual killed in the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City, the Pentagon building in Washington, D.C., or the crash of United Airlines Flight 93 in southwestern Pennsylvania, if the student meets the financial need requirements set forth in Section 69432.7 for the Cal Grant A Program and either the surviving dependent or the individual killed in the attacks was a resident of California on September 11, 2001.

Students who may qualify for these benefits should contact the Admissions/Registrar’s Office for further information and/or an eligibility determination.

Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) Grants

Students who are at least one-fourth American Indian, Eskimo, or Aleut may apply for a BIA grant. The amount of the grant depends upon financial need and availability of funds. Students must complete an application for financial aid and then contact their tribe or tribal agency for an application.

Federal/State Regulations

The information contained in this publication accurately reflects regulations and policies at the time of printing. Be aware that Federal and State regulations governing financial aid processing and eligibility are subject to change at any time.

Other Types of Financial Assistance

Internship Program Office

The Internship Program Office (Co-op) places students in paid career or academic related positions with corporations, businesses, agencies and institutions. For more information, contact the Internship Program Office at (562) 985-8463 or, or go to Brotman Hall, Room 250.

Student Part-Time Employment

Listings are available and assistance is offered in the Career Development Center to students interested in part-time employment. On-campus and off-campus positions are available. Students can access these listings on BeachLink, CSULB's online job posting board at

Teaching Associateships and Graduate Assistantships

Many CSULB departments have Teaching Associate (TA) and/or Graduate Assistant (GA) positions available for qualified graduate students. Students should check in department offices or on the campus web site for more information.